The National Gallery of Canada’s event “Exploring the Psychology of Creativity” has sparked controversy on social media over the appearance of Dr. Jordan Peterson, a University of Toronto professor who has been in the headlines for his refusal to use students’ preferred pronouns.

Petitions have been created, both opposing and in support, of Peterson’s appearance, on change.org. So far, 1,048 people have signed the opposing petition while 1,542 have signed the petition supporting the professor.

The petition opposing his appearance stated Peterson “seeks to invalidate the experience of trans people” and that he “chooses to expressly contradict his students about their existence and being in the world.” The petition added that by hosting the professor, the National Gallery endorses “his disdain for marginalized groups.”

But many have come out in support of Peterson, and noted his right to free speech and accomplishments in academia. The petition supporting his appearance stated Peterson “is a prominent Canadian scholar of great intellect and depth.” It added the professor’s large following will attract positive attention to the gallery and their work.

Olivia Johnston, a local artist and Carleton University art history alumna, wrote an open letter to the gallery expressing her disappointment regarding the lecture.

Johnston wrote that the gallery should stand by its progressive values, and hosting Peterson would go against this.

“I prize the National Gallery as a space that celebrates creativity, uniqueness, diversity, and progressiveness,” she said in her letter. “I count on the gallery to expand my own and others’ viewpoints, and to never make any members of my community feel unsafe. Perhaps that was a naïve expectation.”

Johnston added the argument of free speech doesn’t justify his appearance at the event. “Many may argue that Peterson’s right to ‘free speech’ is protected by the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, specifically Section 2b,” she said in her letter. “Indeed, his right to say what he wishes may be protected—but he is certainly not guaranteed a national, government-funded forum, let alone one at an institution that claims to represent a progressive and diverse Canada.”

Despite complaints and the demand to have the event cancelled, the National Gallery of Canada said they stand by having Peterson hold his lecture. In a statement to The Charlatan, the gallery said Peterson was invited to speak on his research, and added the talk is of relevance and interest to the gallery’s audience.

“[Peterson] is a highly-accomplished and published clinical psychologist,” the gallery stated. “The Gallery invited him to speak about his specific research interest in the psychology of creativity, a subject he has spoken about at scientific conferences across North America and about which he has co-authored over ten scientific papers.”

The statement concluded with “The Gallery regularly invites recognized experts who contribute to our understanding around important issues relating to art.”

– Photo illustration by Angela Tilley