This past week Bear & Co. debuted their production of Finishing the Suit, written by local playwright Lawrence Aronovitch.

The story follows an unnamed tailor, played by Matt Pilipiak, as he converses with his deceased lover Jimmy and former boss, the Duke of Wellington, played by Isaac Giles and David Whiteley. The tailor is a queer Jewish man in 1970s New York tackling loss and isolation.

The most striking thing about the play is the political nature of the story. The set is dimly lit and very minimal, but the choice of dreary colours and sombre tones fits delightfully with the dialogue. The costumes were perfectly fitting without being over-the-top or underdressed.

The story is a difficult one to visually depict because the characters speak mostly of places and times outside the small tailor shop where it is set. The majority of the cues rely on dialogue. In flashbacks, the use of music and colored lights aids the audience in imagining a new place. There were at least a hundred long strands of ribbon hanging from metal rods in the ceiling, which cast a really beautiful shadow along the floorboards that was amplified during the flashbacks.

At times the music became a bit distracting, but the lighting was brilliantly employed.

Although the story was centred on the tailor and his will to live through his regret and remorse, Jimmy was the strongest and most dynamic character. The play would not have been as strong without him—an Irish dancer and actor, a youthful adventurer, and a dedicated lover. His combative voice and affectionate body language were a standout in the show.

The play relied on the romantic gestures and nostalgia between the tailor and Jimmy. Every kiss and caress was methodically played out and intricately placed. It wasn’t meant to be a love story, but a large portion of the play was just that.

There were moments when the conversations between characters became confusing due to the fact they were all taking place within the tailor’s mind. Every re-lived moment and every emotional debate seemed to be his projection of the other two men rather than true ghosts.

Altogether, it was a wonderful performance and an important addition to queer arts. With the majority of the arts consumed by heterocentrism, it was beautiful to sit and watch a performance based on queer love and struggle, without it being the token gay relationship.

The play was raw, tackling issues of loss, the feud between England and Ireland during the end of the 20th century, and being shunned for sexual orientation.

The Gladstone is an intimate space and the play itself was worth seeing. I am looking out for more coming from Bear & Co. this season.

– Photo is provided.