On Oct. 22, Ottawa elected a new municipal government where Jim Watson was re-elected as mayor.

Watson won the race with 71 per cent of the vote, making this his third term as mayor.

While he took the victory, mayoral candidate Clive Doucet also garnered a large number of the vote with about 59,000 votes.

Despite the loss, Doucet said he gave Ottawa an agenda for change.

“We’ve given voice to all those communities across this fine city. They’ve felt oppressed by the developers who simply ignore community design plans,” he said in his speech on the night of the election.

He added that thousands of people voted for his vision for the city.

“I would advise those folks who are elected to pay a little attention to that, because that’s the vision that’s going to carry us forward,” Doucet said.

Shawn Menard upended former incumbent David Chernushenko in the race for the city council seat for Capital ward, the riding in which Carleton University is located. Chernushenko was running for his third term of the ward.

The newly elected councillor said students can expect a major advocate for their needs and concerns at City Hall.

“First and foremost my goal is to bring forward a mandate that puts students first,” Menard said.

As a former president of Carleton University Students’ Association and the Rideau River Residence Association, he said he understands the issues that impact students.

Menard added he has an acute understanding of the issues that affect students, like public transit, and affordable housing.

“I know about this rent-specific housing money that’s being rolled out by the federal government—I’m going to push the city to bring it into Capital ward.” Menard said.

Hannah Stewart, a Carleton Canadian studies master’s student, said Menard’s idea sounds appealing to her. 

“I’ve always lived with my parents, so seeing a program like that could potentially help me move out would be really good,” she said. 

The election also brought other shifts on the city council, which saw more women at City Hall but less racial diversity.

Four more women were elected, joining three incumbent female councillors.

The new women elected include Theresa Kavanagh (Bay Ward), Jenna Sudds (Kanata North), Laura Dudas (Innes) and Carol Anne Meehan (Gloucester-South Nepean). They join incumbents Jan Harder (Barrhaven), Diane Deans (Gloucester-Southgate) and Catherine McKenney (Somerset).

But, with the defeats of Michael Qaqish and Shad Qadri, the number of councillors with racial minority backgrounds dropped by half from last year’s council.

Only Eli El-Chantiry and George Darouze, both originally from Lebanon, kept their seats at City Hall.

Jide Afolabi, who ran in Capital ward, said minority representation on council is still much needed.

“What is missing is not just having a different kind of face on council—it’s having a deeply different perspective on council and having that voice be heard,” he said.

Menard echoed the statement.

“I was really pushing for more representation on city council, for those visible and ethnic minorities voices to be heard . . . But, it didn’t happen, I really hope that those voices can still be heard through committees and panels at City Hall.” Menard said.

Menard said he would like to include a student panel and getting more students into City Hall to discuss issues that impact them. 

For full results of the election, check the City of Ottawa’s website.