About 190 people dove, treaded and swam while watching films like Pirates of the Caribbean March 23. (Photo by: Yuko Inoue)

Audiences were immersed in the cinematic and aquatic at Carleton’s Dive-In movie March 23.

At its peak, 190 people were bobbing in the pool as Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides came to life in a whole new way.

Audiences could literally feel the lapping waves as they watched the Black Pearl sail across the sea on screen.

The event, put on by the student experience office, encourages students to get involved with their campus, said co-ordinator William Johnson.

“Hopefully it introduced a lot of students who hadn’t been to CU’s swimming pool and take advantage of the facilities,” he said.

The event was modeled off of events other universities hosted to get students involved with their campus in innovative ways, Johnson said.

Moin Virani, a third-year neuroscience student, said he and his friends were planning to go to a regular movie theatre March 23 but he’s glad they ended up at the Dive-In instead.

“It was a really unique experience,” he said. “It’s just something I’ve never seen before.”

He and his friends spent a lot of time fooling around in the deep end and would drift back to catch glimpses of Jack Sparrow’s quest for the Holy Grail. Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides was selected through a poll. It beat out other water-themed flicks like Jaws and Soul Surfer.

The Dive-In movie is the last of many late-night events hosted by Carleton, including the CU unplugged concert series and an X-rated hypnotist. These events provide an alternative for students, Johnson said.

“Not all students want to go downtown to bars,” he said. “It’s important for students to have something to do on campus.”