Home News Mike’s Place celebrates 40 years

Mike’s Place celebrates 40 years

132

It started in 1972 as a lounge for graduate students, but as Mike’s Place celebrates its 40th anniversary, the campus pub has established itself as a full-service bar and restaurant.

“Originally, Mike’s Place was just a lounge for students to sit and relax in,” said current manager Danny Byrne. “The only furniture . . . was some old couches and a few used chairs for the students to relax in. Then a menu and bar were added to the lounge and now we offer food services and a place to relax to an average of 1,500 to 2,000 students a week.”

Students past and present can join staff when celebrations kick off Jan. 26 with a ’70s throwback night in honor of its founding decade.

In 1972, Mike’s was named after Lester B. ‘Mike’ Pearson — a Carleton chancellor and Canada’s 14th prime minister.

Throughout the year, Byrne said Mike’s will be collecting photos of the establishment over the course of its history and looking for local musicians to participate in special ‘Open Mike’ nights throughout Alumni Week.

“Many local bands got their start by playing on an Open Mike night,” he said. “We want to showcase this piece of the restaurant’s history for the alumni of Carleton.”

Regularly-scheduled events such as Karaoke Tuesday, Trivia Wednesday and the monthly ‘Open Mike’ nights will continue as regularly scheduled during celebrations, Byrne said.

“Mike’s Place is an important aspect of the student body’s life here at Carleton because we provide services for students who wish to study in a relaxed setting as well as giving students a chance to get their minds off of their studies with our many activities on a weekly basis,” he said.

“We also work with the Graduate Students’ Association to ensure that graduate students who come to study here at Carleton are welcomed.”