File photo by Kyle Fazackerley.

The Carleton Ravens men’s basketball team picked up its season right where they left off.

The Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) reigning champions are undefeated entering the new year with an 8-0 record, and are tied for first place in the Ontario University Athletics (OUA) North Division with the University of Ottawa Gee-Gees.

The team is also ranked first in the nation, and has maintained the number one position through the first half of the season.

The Ravens proved dominant through their first eight matches, averaging 92.5 points per game while holding their opponents to only 57.2 points per game.

Carleton leads the CIS in fewest points per game allowed, field goal percentage (52.6 per cent) and three-point field goal percentage (47.5 per cent). Their closest contest was a 92-75 victory against the fourth-ranked McMaster Marauders on Nov.8.

The undefeated Ravens have been led by the dynamic duo of Thomas and Philip Scrubb.

Thomas, a fifth-year forward and last year’s top defensive player in the CIS, leads the team with 18.8 points per game. His brother and three-time CIS player of the year, fifth-year guard Philip, trails just behind him averaging 17.6 points per game.

The Ravens have shown in the first half of the season why they are considered a powerhouse in Canadian University basketball. Carleton is searching for their fifth consecutive CIS title, and 11th in 13 seasons.

The Ravens will face their biggest challenge of the season Jan. 10 when they face the undefeated number two-ranked Gee-Gees.