Ravens goalie Patrick Killeen got the opportunity many hockey players dream of: a call up to practice with the Ottawa Senators on Dec. 27.

With Senators backup goalie Robin Lehner out due to illness, Killeen strapped on the pads and took shots from the nation’s capital team.

The Carp, Ont. native is no stranger to professional hockey with seven American Hockey League and 111 East Coast Hockey League games under his belt. Killeen was also drafted sixth round by the Pittsburgh Penguins in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft.

But the NHL is a different story, as Killeen explained how he felt getting the call up to the big leagues.

“It was definitely exciting, I really wasn’t expecting it. I was just sitting at home enjoying my break and I got the call from [my coach] asking if it was something I would be interested in doing, and obviously it’s the kind of opportunity you say ‘yes’ to,” he said. “They’re the best in the world at what they do, so it was a lot of fun to go out there and kind of compare yourself, stop a couple pucks and see what it’s all about.”

Ravens head coach Marty Johnston received the call for Killeen’s call up from Senators assistant general manager Randy Lee. Johnston said he believes if Killeen sticks to his current goals, he may get his chance in the pros.

“I know certainly when he decided to come back to Carleton the objective was to go back and play pro after he completed his degree,” Johnston said. “If he stays on the same path I hope gets another opportunity to play with an NHL team.”

Johnston said he has seen what Killeen can bring to a team from this season with the Ravens.

“He provides a calming influence off the ice in our dressing room and a real strong work ethic on the ice. He’s been a great fit and we’re really happy with the tandem of him and Francis [Dupuis],” Johnston said.

The second-year criminology student said he loved his experience with the Senators, and the entire team and organization stood out to him.

“What really stood out the most was the work ethic that they bring to practice. They take what they do seriously and it was really cool to see the attention to detail,” Killeen said. “The team, and the whole organization is, really friendly and very accommodating. It was a good experience. Everyone in the dressing room was definitely very nice.”

Since his practice there has been talk that the Senators should consider signing Killeen, as Sean Tierney of The Hockey Writers wrote.

Killeen said he remains humble and focusing on his education, at least for the moment.

“It’s definitely flattering,” Killeen laughed. “But it doesn’t change my situation right now. I’ve played pro previously and made the decision to come back to school. I’m here now and giving everything I have to the Ravens. I’ve always had the intention of going and playing pro when I leave here and the education was something I can fall back on if needed.”

Killeen said he has next year left to play, but as of now it won’t change how he plays for Carleton.

Although he is sticking to finishing his education, Killeen admits playing for the Senators would be a dream come true.

“I’ve been a pretty big Sens fan every since they came into the league. They were the team I grew up with. It would definitely be an amazing experience,” he said.

For now, Killeen’s focus is his education and with the Ravens, where he will look to build on his 2.25 goals against average, .922 save percentage, and 7-1 record going into the second half of the 2014-15 season.