The dog days of winter are here. It is not the time to break out a new pair of oxfords or wingtips. This weather calls for war: a battle between foot and snow and ice.

When it comes to winter, most guys think they have only two choices. They can slog it out in their favourite fall boots, knowing full well that they will have to buy replacements in the spring, or throw on ugly rubbers for the next three months.

But the winter blues should not include your feet.

Option 1: Overshoes

Overshoes are like rubber gloves for your boots. They slip over your kicks and keep moisture out. A pair will set you back about $30, but it’s worth the investment because overshoes can we worn over dress shoes, boots, and even a pair of trainers. As long as your feet don’t grow, it’s a guarantee they’ll outlast even your most favourite pair of kicks.

The only thing overshoes don’t solve is those foot-deep-in-snow days we all experience a few times a year. The shape means only the bottom half of your foot is protected. There is a chance you will squelch and squirt through the University Centre if you go with overshoes.

Aside from winter, you should own overshoes for rainy days and late season muck. They’re great to wear in the spring and fall when the weather is yucky and the chances of slushy sidewalks are high.

Option 2: Leather boots

“Leather boots are still in style for manly footwear.” – Merle Haggard, Okie from Muskogee

Leather boots will get you through mild winter days and the times when snow is piling at your bus stop. Look for a pair with good insulation, because most of the low-price leather or pleather boots will freeze your feet when the temperature falls below minus-10. Sheepskin is in this year, but even fleece-lined insoles or thick socks will warm your leather boots if you have a pair that’s chilly in Ottawa’s wonderful sub-zero climate.

Make sure your leather boots have decent treads, too. Aside from the obvious safety issues, nobody looks cool with a look of terror on their face as they slide down the sidewalk.

The trend last year was chunky soles, and it’s a look that is still popular now. Brown is always more versatile than black, and it won’t show the dirt as much as darker tones. Look for a pair that hit you around the ankle and look good with your favourite pants. The right leather boots can we be worn most of the year and go with every casual outfit you own, provided you keep them clean.

Oh, and for those stubborn salt stains, try a teaspoon of white vinegar dissolved in enough warm water to fill a coffee mug. It should work with most leathers without damaging the material. If you’re unsure, call the store where you bought your boots. Shoe polish is good after you’ve wiped most of the salt off, and a good shoebrush should knock off whatever salt is left clinging to the outside of your boots.

Option 3: Winter boots

There are times where comfort and stability trump fashion. When it’s minus-20, or worse, outside and the snow is piling up faster than your to-do list during midterm season, throw on a pair of classic rubber footed winter boots and start your trek. This is no name for fashion, although most footwear shops will have this kind of boot in a variety of styles and colours.

Get a pair with a good lining, because when the snow covers your foot and climbs up your shin, you’ll want all the warmth you can get. If you find moisture inside the boot, patch the leak with a little duct tape on the inside of the boot. Then, start saving for a new pair of winter boots. It’s not safe to walk around in puddles of freezing water all day.

It also goes without saying that you’ll need a set of thick socks to keep your flippers warm, no matter what shoe you choose. Wool socks are the best choice because your feet will breathe and stay warm at the same time. They may not be the cheapest option, but these winters are no time to sacrifice warmth for extra beer money.