Photos by Melissa Baumann.
Photos by Melissa Baumann.

Understanding the art of layering will do wonders for your wardrobe.

Not only is it important for transitioning from autumn to winter, but I think layering goes far beyond that. Building a system of basics which you can swap out  for different looks is the easiest thing you can do for yourself, it just takes a little bit of time to understand what those basics are and how to properly layer them.

Layering lighter cotton tees and v-necks, or button downs in beige or light blue, underneath a knitted long-sleeve sweater in grey, navy, or beige is a timeless, simple, and professional look that looks great on any man.

If you want to be more adventurous with colours or patterns, try a plaid button up in darker red, green, or brown tones.

Cable-knit sweaters, layered Henleys in two different colours, or a properly fitted blazer are also great pairings with a simple tee.

Buying a blazer or a knitted sweater is of course harder on your wallet, but if you find the right fit and invest in something that is good quality, it will last a long time and will always look great. Trust me, it can turn into an essential part of your wardrobe.

Buying tees is something that you don’t need to consider quality for so this will give you more leeway to splurge on the bigger items. Buying a 3 for $12 pack at Old Navy will end up looking the same as a $50 v-neck at Banana Republic—especially if you’re just wearing it under something else. This is where you can afford to look for quantity not quality.

oStyleBlog17_2_MelissaBauman_(WEB)Pair this all with a nice dark wash pair of jeans and you’re all set for winter.

This extends to the outdoors too. Since Ottawa has about six months of winter in a good year, you’re going to want to make sure you’re looking dapper even in -30 degrees.

Invest in a coat—without that, you’ll never stay warm, which should be your number one priority.

Pea coats are the easiest to master and will pull together your look instantly. It’s also easy to pair with accessories. Wear it unbuttoned with a scarf hung loosely around your neck, a beanie, and some leather lace-ups in a darker brown or cognac for those warmer winter days. Bundle it up, trade the lace-ups for some higher leather boots, throw on some leather gloves and you’re set. Avoid mixing in athletic wear. Trust me, you’ll ruin your look with one fleece Sens toque or ski gloves.

Fashion can be frustrating, and hard to navigate, but once you build yourself a nice simple base wardrobe it becomes a lot easier. Little tricks do go a long way, and taking the time to understand and learn those is the best advice anyone can give you.