(Photo by Kyle Fazackerley)

Shirts

The fall is the best time to be a sports fan, because come October, every major North American league plays at the same time.

Men’s fashion is the same way this time of year. Every brand releases new collections to get us through the up-and-down autumn temperatures and frigid Ottawa winters.

A lot of men’s fashion advice says to use layers to dress for the season’s erratic temperatures. Versatility and buying for value is the key to building a timeless fall wardrobe. You can easily shop for the fall and winter at the same time, if you know how to buy.

The right shirt is the difference between sweating out the season and freezing like Kessel in a shootout.

You have two choices: buy an all-weather button up and pack a sweater, or stick to a t-shirt and wear a heavier jacket. You can sub in a long-sleeved t-shirt for the short sleeve style. Henleys are always a smart choice for fall, and they bridge the gap between dressy button ups and casual t-shirts.

Fabrics

The all-weather button-up shirt is usually cotton, but at lower price points you’ll see more polyester-cotton blends. Blends aren’t necessarily bad, but the fabric doesn’t breathe the same way. Cheap fabrics tend to weather in the washing machine and trap body heat to create that oh-so-attractive sweaty back stain.

Go to the store and feel the material in your hands. The shirt should be thick enough to wear in mild temperatures without a sweater or jacket. That’s how you identify an all-weather shirt.

If comparing fabrics sounds like too much work, just walk into the store and look at the new arrivals. The sale stuff will be leftover from the summer and won’t be as warm on a 10-degree fall day.

Colours and patterns

Green is still a big colour this season. It’s a great choice for your ever-waning summer tan. Green matches everything that blue goes with, so you can wear khakis, greys, blues, and browns with confidence. It’s a choice that will help you stand out a little, but not a lot.

Blue is always in style, but it deserves extra attention this fall because most men default to the latter if given the choice been navy and black. Navy is a better investment because it matches brown, whereas black limits your options. A dark blue blazer, sweater, or pair of pants looks sharp with brown leather shoes and a brown belt.

Keep patterns simple and personal this autumn. There isn’t any brand-new pattern, but colour blocked designs and plaids are always a safe choice. These motifs will never go out of style, and if you buy shirts in neutral colours you’re bound to get at least two years of wear out of them.

Fit

This is nothing new, but it’s worth repeating: buy clothes that fit.

A button-up shirt fits when:
• You tuck it in and there is less than one inch of excess fabric around your waist
• The sleeves end at your wrist bone
• You can button the top button—not the collar button—comfortably
• Your arms can move freely without any tightness or motion restrictions

A t-shirt or polo fits when:
• The bottom ends about two fingers past your belt
• You can raise your arms without showing off your underwear waistband
• The shoulder seams land on your shoulders
• There is about one or two inches of excess fabric along your torso