Carleton Ravens goaltender McLaren Cole (29) stops a save during warmup ahead of the Colonel By Classic in Ottawa, on Sunday, Jan. 22, 2023. [Photo by Spencer Colby/The Charlatan]

The Carleton Ravens men’s hockey team defeated the Ontario Tech Ridgebacks 4-0 on Saturday in the second game of the Ontario University Athletics (OUA) first-round playoffs. 

The win sends the Ravens to the OUA quarterfinals, sweeping the series with two wins after beating the Ridgebacks 4-0 on Wednesday. 

Carleton opened the scoring in the first period with a goal from defenceman Kaleb Bulych and assists from forward Oliver Castleman and defenceman Matt Barberis.  

The Ravens extended their lead to two goals 14 minutes into the second period when forward Brogan O’Brien scored a short-handed goal, assisted by defencemen Lukash Matthews and Majid Kaddoura.

Matthews and forward Oliver Castleman wrapped up the series for the Ravens, scoring a goal each in the last period. Matthew’s second point of the night came 15 minutes into the period with assists from forwards Will Collins and Scott McKenzie. Forwards Alex Johnston and Aaron Boyd assisted Castleman’s goal in the 18th minute. 

Despite the Ravens’ red-hot goal streak, the Ridgebacks outshot Carleton in every single period. Goaltender Mark Grametbauer was the hero of the night, saving all 40 on-target shots.

Grametbauer’s heroics followed his 47 stops during Wednesday’s matchup, bringing his series total to 87 saves and two shutouts across two games.

The win means the Ravens will take on current OUA champions and number one team in the OUA east division L’Université du Québec à Trois-Rivières (UQTR) in the quarterfinals.

Featured image by Spencer Colby.