The Scotiabank Centre in Halifax, N.S. on Wednesday, March 8, 2023. [Photo by L. Manuel Baechlin/The Charlatan]

HALIFAX — Right now, the Scotiabank Centre in downtown Halifax is quiet. Early in the afternoon on Wednesday, workers took sponsorship signs through the loading bay and towards the vacant court, just barely visible from Carmichael Street.

But on Friday, the Scotiabank Centre will be bustling with activity. Eight of the best men’s basketball teams from across the country will converge here, and after the first full season since 2019-20, a champion will finally be crowned this weekend.

The Charlatan asked seven U Sports reporters and commentators from across the country to pick their winners, with the opportunity to explain their picks. Three believe the Victoria Vikes will win; two said the uOttawa Gee-Gees would win. The Queen’s Gaels and Carleton Ravens each received one pick.

Above all, one thing is clear: This year, it’s anybody’s game.

Trung Ho | Creator, In The Fourth

I have St. FX over the Vikes as the most likely upset in the tournament. The Ravens went 2-0 against Ottawa in the regular season, but their 22-point Wilson Cup loss really demonstrated the Gee-Gees’ poise and the Ravens’ theme of unreliability this season. I trust Ottawa a lot more than Carleton, so I have the Gee-Gees for the championship. It’s finally their year.

Sarah Maat and Lilly Coote | Sports editors, Queen’s Journal

Queen’s’ favourite saying is ‘Cha Gheill’—a Gaelic war cry which means ‘no surrender.’ This season, their men’s basketball team has done just that; they’ve never surrendered. Picking the Gaels to win it all may seem like a biased choice, but they were given the at-large berth for a reason. With wins over both uOttawa and Carleton in the regular season, and a recent neck-and-neck match against Carleton in the OUA semifinals, you can’t count Queen’s out yet. This weekend, the Ravens may find themselves looking in the mirror watching Queen’s do exactly what they did last year.

Armen Zargarian | U Sports basketball reporter, The Eyeopener

Initial gut instinct.

Christian Aumell | Sports show host, CJOB Winnipeg

Richard Coffey | Deputy editor, 49 Sports

Griffin Porter | Host, OUA Basketball Show

Thomas Scott | Sports editor, Dalhousie Gazette

Graphics by Sara Mizannojehdehi.