The ban applies to everyone on university grounds, including students, faculty, visitors, and all other personnel. (Photo illustration by Kyle Fazackerley)

Memorial University of Newfoundland (MUN) has gone completely smoke-free.

The Newfoundland school implemented a full smoking ban Aug. 1, which covers all university property and campuses excluding its Harlow campus in the U.K, according to a press release from the university.

The ban applies to everyone on university grounds, including students, faculty, visitors, and all other personnel, meaning anyone wishing to have a cigarette must leave university property to do so.

“Memorial is committed to providing a safe, smoke-free environment for its students, faculty and staff,” MUN vice-president (administration and finance) Kent Decker said in the press release.

“Going smoke-free will make Memorial University a healthier place to live, work and study.”

This is the last stage in a phased-in approach to ban smoking at MUN. The university began phasing in the ban in 2011, with students not being able to smoke in doorways, according to the release.

“The long-term health and safety of students and staff, the detrimental health impact of smoking and exposure to second-hand smoke, and the university’s ability to influence community and society through its policies and actions were factors that influenced the board’s decision,” Decker said.

MUN is currently running an awareness campaign to advise students about the policy. To help students cope, it is offering help to those who wish to quit smoking through their wellness programs.

Former MUN engineering student Matt Clancey said he does not think students will comply with the ban.

“The program is ambitious and based on good intentions but at the end of the day smoking is an addiction and I believe students are going to continue to smoke on campus out of need,” Clancey said.

“MUN is a big place and to leave the campus to smoke would likely cause students to be late for following classes.”

Clancey said he thinks the ban is too harsh.

“For those that don’t quit it means climbing through snow or walking in the rain to get off campus in order to feed an addiction,” he said. “In my opinion this is reckless on the part of Memorial’s administration.”

Amanda Braund, a third-year Greek and Roman studies student at Carleton University said she does not think other universities should try to ban smoking.

“I think it will create more harm than good,” Braund said, noting she does not smoke.

“It’s like underage drinking, people always find ways around it,” she added.

“When people go to university, they expect more freedom.”