Graphic with letters
[Graphic by Sara Mizannojehdehi]

On Jan. 31 and Feb. 1, students will elect two undergraduate representatives for the Board of Governors (BoG).  Two undergraduate and two graduate representatives will serve a one-year term from July 1 to June 30, 2023. 

Student representatives of the BoG are responsible for relaying students’ perspectives and opinions on the university’s governance and administration, which include decisions on budgetary items and policy-making.  

The Charlatan spoke to the six candidates running for undergraduate student representative in this year’s election. 

Abigail Dyer 

Candidate for the Board of Directors (BoG) Abigail Dyer is seen in a portrait at Carleton University in Ottawa, Ont. on Thursday, Jan. 27, 2022. Students will go to the polls on Monday, Jan. 3 with the selected candidates serving from Jul. 1, 2022 to Jul. 30, 2023. [Photo by Spencer Colby/The Charlatan]
Abigail Dyer, a second-year global and international studies (BGInS) student, said she hopes to use her place on the board to voice student concerns. 

“I’ve heard a lot of different ideas and complaints, things that frustrate students. If it’s something that we all have in common, those should get implemented,” she said. 

Dyer said her perspective is unique because she has lived all over Canada and networked with a variety of students in that time. 

“I’ve made lots of connections over the years, with people all over Canada and internationally, and I think that could be something that definitely sets me apart.” 

Dyer also mentioned that her goals for the position include making the university more accessible and inclusive. 

Dyer would like to combat any racism or discrimination on campus and especially focus on improving inclusivity for people with disabilities. 

The BGInS student said that although her connections and dedication set her apart, she believes all the candidates are strong and well-suited for the position. 

“I think we all have similar ideas, we all want what’s best for everyone. Leadership has always been something I’ve been passionate about,” Dyer said. 

Mira Gillis 

Mira Gillis is one of 6 Carleton University Board of Governors undergraduate candidates running to serve in a one-year term from Jul. 1, 2022 to Jul. 30, 2023. Gillis previously served as Vice President Administration of the Rideau River Residence Association. [Photo provided by Mira Gillis]
Mira Gillis, a second-year public affairs and policy management (PAPM) student, said she decided to run because she wants to promote student concerns that she’s passionate about, including issues about menstrual products and mental health advocacy. 

“I’m doing this in an optimistic and genuine light. I’m here to make a difference and I hope the students see that.” 

Gillis said her advocacy for menstrual products makes her campaign unique, since it is an underrepresented subject at Carleton. She noted that this concerns all menstruating students. 

Gillis also mentioned that she’d like to expand the university’s mental health services to better support more students.

“We really need these services to help the greatest number of people, so we need to expand them,” she said. “That’s the best way to ensure that everybody is not only feeling comfortable at Carleton, but having a safe, successful time.”

Gillis’s relevant experience qualifying her for a position on the board include her roles as an executive for the Rideau River Residence Association (RRRA), a Canadian Senate student page, and the co-founder and co-president of the Carleton University Be A Donor Club. 

“I hope that people can see how truly passionate and determined I am to make a bigger impact and difference at Carleton,” Gillis said. 

Anastasia Lettieri 

Anastasia Lettieri is one of 6 Carleton University Board of Governors undergraduate candidates running to serve in a one-year term from Jul. 1, 2022 to Jul. 30, 2023. Lettieri is seeking re-election as the current Undergraduate Governor. [Photo provided by Anastasia Lettieri]
Anastasia Lettieri, a third-year law student, currently sits on the BoG as one of two undergraduate representatives and is seeking re-election. 

Lettieri said she decided to run for a second term because she enjoyed it so much last year and wants to help the student body even more now. 

“It’ll be easier to get to make changes when I have built these good, strong relationships,” Lettieri said. 

Lettieri said past experience from this and other initiatives and organizations, such as being a Student as Partners Program (SaAP) employee and faculty representative on CASG, has helped her connect with a wide variety of students and makes her a great candidate for the position. 

The law student also said her campaign is unique because she is directing her focus toward increasing student jobs on campus and continuing her review of the sexual assault policy. 

Lettieri ended by expressing her excitement for the position and her interest in expanding the board’s visibility and transparency. 

“If students don’t understand the work that’s being done, then they’re going to be excluded from it and I don’t think that’s fair,” Lettieri said. 

Jonathan Ojangole 

Jonathan Ojangole is one of 6 Carleton University Board of Governors undergraduate candidates running to serve in a one-year term from Jul. 1, 2022 to Jul. 30, 2023. Ojangole previously served as a Carleton University Student Association (CUSA) Hatch Brand Ambassador. [Photo provided by Jonathan Ojangole]
Jonathan Ojangole is a second-year computer science student from Uganda. Ojangole loves to stay active and is always up for a new adventure, including finding ways to change and add value to his community anywhere in the world. 

Ojangole said he understands the difficulty of being an international student, as well as a visible minority, which is something that he didn’t experience in Uganda. 

“When you get into the country sometimes you feel like you don’t know where to start. You don’t even want to speak up because of your accent,” Ojangole said.

Ojangole believes his status as an international student should not be a dividing factor, but that it could give him an advantage to better represent all students.

If elected, he plans to hold various discussion forums to give students the opportunity to be heard.  

Ojangole has experience with Carleton’s International Partnerships Program, was a social impact panelist and participated in the alumni ambassador program with Yale Young Global Scholars. Additionally, he has mentored several high school students in public speaking. 

Ojangole said he thinks the structure and the managerial responsibilities that a position on the board brings are a great fit for him. The opportunity to write policies that better the university and encourage students to reach their potential is what drives his election campaign, he said.

Gabriel Paraskevopulos 

Gabriel Paraskevopulos is one of 6 Carleton University Board of Governors undergraduate candidates running to serve in a one-year term from Jul. 1, 2022 to Jul. 30, 2023. Paraskevopulos previously served as Student-at-Large on the Carleton University Student Association (CUSA) Clubs Committee. [Photo provided by Gabriel Paraskevopulos]
Gabriel Paraskevopulos is a second-year BGInS student who believes the best interests of Carleton should follow those of the student population. For him, this starts with more transparent decision-making and collaboration with the student body.

Paraskevopulos challenges groups on campus who claim to inspire change for personal gain rather than look to start a movement that will continue after their tenure. If elected, he plans to work with the student body to demonstrate that it is possible to develop a sense of student leadership extending from first- to fourth-year students. 

Paraskevopulos said he would start by using multimedia to inform, engage and build a relationship with students in a way that is creative and informs the student body on the BoG’s decisions and actions. 

“As a student there have been decisions made by the university administration that has been deeply unpopular with students,” Paraskevopulos said. “My biggest issue is that generally those decisions don’t come with the amount of transparency and accountability they need to have.”

Paraskevopulos has experience working within the Carleton University Students’ Association (CUSA) and currently sits as a student-at-large on the elections reform committee. He also has additional experience working as a RRRA councillor and constitutional review committee member. 

Paraskevopulos believes his experiences and efforts promoting accountability and transparency will allow him to create a bottom-to-top approach for the board in how it interacts with the university and students.

Michelle Taylor 

Michelle Taylor is a mature student at Carleton who is pursuing a second career through her fourth year in the honours law program. 

She is passionate about giving people a voice through representation while ensuring Carleton enacts policies that are in the best interests of the entire university, particularly students who are overlooked, underserved and living with disabilities and those who historically struggle more in getting a post-secondary education. 

Taylor yields experience from a political background in provincial and federal politics as a four-time candidate and most recently as an NDP candidate in the 2021 federal election. 

When Taylor lived in Calgary, Alta., she started the community association board in her subdivision to give her fellow residents a stronger voice against developers. She also resurrected the NDP’s provincial and federal riding associations in her current area. 

Taylor remains the president of both associations and hopes to use her skills and experience from these positions to help her as a BoG representative.

Taylor believes her length of political, career and life experience, along with her dedication to advocating for her peers, will enable her to be a loud, compassionate voice on the BoG. 

“I care. That’s the biggest qualification,” Taylor said. “Someone genuinely wanting to make things better and be dedicated to being a loud voice for their fellow students is important.”

Featured graphic by Sara Mizannojehdehi.