Graphic by Etta Gerrits.

The Carleton University Students’ Association is holding online elections for its executives and councillors on Feb. 3 and 4. Students will elect six executives and 26 councillors, including six councillors for the faculty of arts and social sciences (FASS).

The Charlatan asked each candidate running for FASS councillor for a 150-word written profile. Profiles have been edited for clarity.

Ahmed Kataite

Photo provided.

My name is Ahmed Kataite and I am a third-year psychology student running for the position of FASS councillor.

Most FASS students are out of touch with what happens in CUSA meetings and my goal is to make this information more accessible by summarizing key points from meetings and making them available on social media.

I also believe that next year’s grading and course options should take into consideration how difficult and draining this year has been on students. My DMs are always open to all FASS students no matter the time and I will make sure that your concerns are addressed!

Baher Mansour

Photo provided.

My name is Baher Mansour and I’m a third-year cognitive science major. I was born in Egypt but spent the majority of my life in the United Arab Emirates and Canada.

I’m running for the FASS councillor position because I want to represent and be the voice of the people as I introduce ideas that address our struggles. I hope to bring my experience of working as vice president (external) for CU Smile, as well as multiple personal experiences, into this new promising position with me.

I hope to improve the networking system connecting students with their university and alumni to aid them in finding the jobs they desire. I also hope to hold professors accountable and advocate for transparency.

I promise to honour and represent students to the best of my ability. I believe students should consider every candidate carefully and vote for who they feel fits their needs best.

David Simon

[No photo provided.]

I’m David Simon and I’m a third-year student studying history and political science.

I am running because I believe we need councillors who are willing to hold the CUSA executives to account. Students have lost faith in their student union due to a lack of responsibility and accountability within CUSA. As a councillor, I will try my best to ensure that CUSA properly represents the student body and is free from corruption and inaction.

If you want a dedicated FASS councillor who will fight for a better and fairer CUSA, please vote for me.

Emma Rowsell

[No photo provided.]

My name is Emma Rowsell. I am a second-year sociology student minoring in law. I have held the position of FASS councillor for the past year and I was hoping to be re-elected to the position.

I am running because I think students should be able to take control of their education and having faculty councillors is important to relay their wishes for the year. I love being able to connect with students and represent my faculty.

This year is especially important for students. The ongoing pandemic is taking a toll on everyone, and it has many students struggling academically, financially, and mentally. I want to be able to help these students through this difficult time and being re-elected would make that a great possibility! Have a great week, Ravens!

Paige Arsenault

[No photo provided.]

My name is Paige and I am a third-year environmental studies student and dedicated member of the Carleton community. I want to get involved in the amazing things CUSA has to offer and help all students benefit from the association.

I have previously been a residence fellow on campus and through that grew a passion to help empower the lives of my peers. I am also involved with Climate Action Carleton, where I work directly with the divestment campaign.

I strive to make a positive impact on the community and believe I would be a great candidate to represent my faculty on the CUSA council and be a voice for arts and social science students.

Stacey Osazuwa

Photo provided.

I’m Stacey Osazuwa and I’m a third-year cognitive science student. The basis of my platform is transparency, accountability and community.

I have taken a range of courses within different departments of the faculty that ultimately helped me gain a grasp of how interdisciplinary the faculty truly is. I will do what is in my power to hold elected CUSA members accountable for their promises and will make sure the needs of the students in the FASS are at the forefront of the decisions made.

As FASS councillor, I would facilitate events for students within the faculty to network. Furthermore, I would advocate for a seamless process where students and professors can connect for research opportunities.

I was elected twice to be the executive student council representative of my freshman and sophomore classmates in high school. I have been a proxy for councillors and volunteered at a number of CUSA service centres.

Candidates Hannah-May Found and Viktoria Szabo did not submit profiles in time for publication.