Graphic by Etta Gerrits.

The Carleton University Students’ Association (CUSA) is holding online elections for its executives and councillors on Feb. 3 and Feb. 4. Students will elect six executives and 26 councillors, including seven councillors for the Faculty of Public Affairs (FPA).

The Charlatan asked each candidate running for FPA councillor for a 150-word written profile. Profiles have been edited for clarity.

Andres Reyes

Photo Provided

My name is Andres Reyes and I’m a second-year student at Carleton doing a bachelors in global and international studies. I want to be your next CUSA councillor for the Faculty of Public Affairs.

I am always searching for the best way to get involved with my local community. For the past few years, I’ve sat on the Yorklands Green Hub’s communications committee. It’s provided me with great experience and insight into the non-profit sphere.

If elected, my mission is to work alongside councillors to create more support for students during these difficult times while advocating for better student representation in CUSA. We deserve a student association that is both efficient and accessible.

I will be critical, inquisitive, compassionate and empathetic. I can promise to be my best self for the student body. Let me be your bridge to CUSA council.

Anushree Pathak

(No photo provided)

My name is Anushree Pathak. I am an international student from India, currently enrolled in my third year of law with a concentration in business law.

Over the past three years, I have actively participated in cases involving the welfare of students, both on and off-campus. I have volunteered in several initiatives that would benefit students and I have been a member of different clubs and societies at Carleton. I was a fall orientation facilitator as well as a first-year connections mentor in my second year at Carleton. I am the founder and president of the North American Association of Indian Students (NAAIS-Carleton), a club for Indian students at Carleton.

Upon having been elected as a public affairs councillor, I will work towards the welfare and interests of International as well as Canadian students in the Faculty of Public Affairs.

Benjamin Lieu

Photo Provided

Benjamin is a second-year economics major. He is currently a CUSA brand ambassador. He was previously a small local recording artist and is now an entrepreneur running both an artist development and social media management business. 

Christian Wright

(No photo provided)

Since transferring to Carleton’s criminology program two years ago, I have become enamoured with the student experience on campus. We have a large and productive student association, a student academic governance system, dozens of active and engaging clubs, and a student body like no other.

I’ve spent my time volunteering at CUSA’s Gender and Sexuality Resource Center, bringing student views to MacOdrum’s student library advisory committee and getting engaged with every election we have at Carleton, whether that be the Carleton Academic Student Government (CASG), CUSA or the undergraduate governor elections.

Now I have decided to run in one of those elections! If elected, I hope to bring new transparency and ethics policies to CUSA, expand the direct financial support CUSA offers in the form of bursaries, establish a no-fee CUSA membership for low-income students, and work to get international students direct representation on CUSA council.

David Noonan

(No photo provided)

I’m a second-year PAPM student specializing in social policy. 

I am running for a councillor position because I feel that the incumbent and past councils and executives have been insufficient in properly addressing, serving and fulfilling their elected duties. I am also running because of the lack of transparency and ethical practice within CUSA. 

I am a former public servant for the government of Canada and the Government of Ontario. I am also a former Committee of the Whole member and elected Senator for the Ottawa-Carleton District School Board. 

I plan to legislate new policies for the council to create a more transparent, hardworking, and devoted organization. 

Students who want a new student union that serves in their interests and their favour and is committed to upholding the values of CUSA and Carleton University need people who are committed to the work. They need people like me who can change CUSA for the betterment of us all.

Emily Sowa

Photo Provided

I’m Emily and I am a second-year business law major seeking re-election for FPA Councillor. 

I have learned through experience that CUSA has the potential to improve, and I plan on making it happen. I currently sit on the accessibility committee, which inspired me to try and make CUSA more accessible, firstly through financial accessibility.

I will ensure that student voices are heard in regards to ancillary fees like FundQi. Also, I want to revamp the club funding system, assuring that clubs get their funds in a timely manner. Environmental accessibility is also important to me. I want to ensure that future generations have access to a green education through our actions today.

Lastly, I will ensure that CUSA happenings are accessible and communicated through updated documents and frequent town halls. I hope that you all trust in my abilities and vote for me as your FPA councillor.

Ethan Brooke

(No photo provided)

My name is Ethan Brooke. I am a second-year student in PAPM concentrating in economic policy, running to represent the Faculty of Public Affairs on CUSA’s council.

In September 2019, I moved from Toronto to Ottawa for school but found so much more. I have received so much from the Carleton community and the FPA that I want to give back as councillor.

After realizing that CUSA has lacked a strong FPA voice, I have taken it upon myself to strengthen the FPA by running for councillor. My main goal as a councillor is to bridge the gap between CUSA and FPA students. This includes relaying the concerns of clubs under the FPA umbrella, providing more CUSA opportunities to FPA students and ensuring that students are well-informed on how CUSA’s actions affect their lives.

As the undergraduate representative for the Institute of Public Administration of Canada, I work to make sure the student perspective is considered. In my work as a CUSA councillor, I want to make sure the FPA perspective is considered.

If you’re in the FPA, don’t forget to let your voice be heard on Feb. 3 and Feb. 4 and vote.

Francesca Lepore

Photo Provided

I’m Francesca Lepore, a first-year student in BGInS specializing in global politics. Throughout high school, I was involved in various leadership and humanitarian initiatives that allowed me to develop transferable skills I hope to hone throughout university.

My involvement in university includes the UNICEF education and advocacy executive committee, events committee for the BGInS Student Society and a director of fundraising for Engineers Without Borders.

My passion for leadership involvement has driven me to run for the Faculty of Public Affairs councillor. My key themes for this election are transparency, communication and collaboration. I believe it is important to have clear, accessible and transparent communication with students. I will ensure that communication goes both ways as I want to work collaboratively with students to address issues impacting their education. 

Gauri Bhardwaj

(No photo provided)

My name is Gauri and I am in my second year of the global and international studies program with a specialization in global politics. I am so excited to announce that I am running to be your CUSA Faculty of Public Affairs councillor for the 2021-22 school year.

As an international student, I have been involved on campus as vice-president (marketing) for UNICEF Carleton, CUSA brand ambassador and co-founder of Precious Plastic Carleton.

I am running because I want to ensure that students have the courage and the resources to achieve the extraordinary. I want to make sure that I am there to assist students when they come out of their cocoons and spread their unique, vibrant wings, flying into success. I hope you vote for me so that we can use our education and power as students to realize our efforts of making this world a better place.

Gray Simms

Photo Provided

I am a second-year public affairs and policy management student specializing in environmental and sustainable energy policy. Growing up on a small family beef farm in rural B.C. cemented my belief in preserving both my community ties and the environment we depend on.

I have long been involved with my academic community. In high school, I was a founding member of our city’s youth council, and I served as AKCESS first-year representative when I came to Carleton last year. I look forward to bringing my passions for honesty, hard work, and engagement to CUSA as a councillor for the Faculty of Public Affairs.

The main focuses of my platform include: improving CUSA’s transparency policies; elections reform; improved access to funding for clubs and students; environmental sustainability at Carleton; and the creation of a Faculty of Public Affairs jazz band.

Haniya Saeed

(No photo provided)

My name is Haniya Saeed and I am a first-year law student at Carleton University. I am a candidate for the Faculty of Public Affairs councillor position, in which if I am elected, I will be your voice for issues you have concerning your experiences as an undergraduate at Carleton!

CUSA councillors work to promote accountability, diversity and community-building amongst everyone on campus, which are all qualities that align with my personal values. I believe our academic and extracurricular experiences should be valued equally and should be a reflection of the students. As an FPA councillor, I would advocate for inclusivity and representation of all intersectional groups in all aspects of CUSA affairs.

My experiences as a member of my high school’s student association, DECA and Model UN team have equipped me with leadership skills and a sense of responsibility that I can implement into the role of a CUSA councillor. Additionally, my experiences volunteering with children from underprivileged backgrounds as a member of Women and Children Social Networking has determined me to use my privilege within this academic institution to ensure that I am a vessel in which the voices of my peers are represented!

Jordan Vecchio

Photo Provided

Jordan Vecchio is a third-year communication and media studies student. Getting involved on campus is something that has always been important to him and has made his time at Carleton so memorable. He is running to be re-elected as a CUSA FPA councillor because he enjoys advocating for the student voice on campus.

He currently holds various positions on campus associations, including RRRA (as the association’s media manager) and CASG (as FPA Coordinator) this year, along with his role as CUSA FPA Councillor.

If re-elected, Jordan wants to increase tailored programming to FPA students, increase funding for FPA clubs and societies, increases CUSA’s visibility to students and continue to advocate for students facing barriers to their university experiences. He believes FPA students should continue to put their trust in him because of his wide range of experiences in this role and many others at Carleton. 

Keenan Reynolds

Photo Provided

My name is Keenan Reynolds and I am currently a third-year student majoring in political science.

My path to university was a little different than most as I deferred my post-secondary education by three years to finish a junior hockey career that spanned over 300 games played. I truly believe that my diverse background as an elite level athlete has prepared me for the pressures and responsibilities of representing my fellow FPA students.

I consider myself a passionate, progressive thinker that wants to implement tangible positive changes here on campus, and I need your votes to do it.  My three main platform themes are institutional accountability, environmental sustainability and having an “open-door” policy as your FPA councillor, ally, or friend. 

Kevin Caswell

Photo Provided

My name is Kevin Caswell and I am a fourth-year communication and media studies student.

From being a candidate in the 2020 undergraduate governor election to serving communication students as their representative on the CASG and volunteering for CUSA and various other organizations.

My initiation into the Carleton community has been interesting. Having networked with students and noting their concerns over the past years, I believe that it is time I finally step up to the plate and bring their concerns to the forefront of each council meeting. My key priorities if elected to council are electoral reform, transparency and accountability.

Liam Clarke

(No photo provided)

My name is Liam Clarke and I am a first-year political science student.

My goal as councillor is to bring a sense of transparency and accountability to the position. I’ve spent a lot of time on campus with the Carleton swim team so I’ve been able to communicate with fellow students and hear what they are concerned about.

To all the FPA students reading this, I implore you to consider voting for me so that I can bring real representation to the students of the faculty of public affairs and bring your issues to the forefront of CUSA.

Lily Huang

(No photo provided)

My name is Lily Huang. I’m the programming coordinator for the CUSA Food Centre and in my third year of public affairs and policy management. I am running for Public Affairs councillor because I am continuously learning about how policy affects different communities and I would like to share the unique perspectives of our faculty with CUSA.

I have previously volunteered with Member of Parliament Adam Vaughan on his election campaign and was inspired to run for this role. I hope to provide healthy, nutritious and culturally sensitive food to students, host different events for international students to connect with one another, and support students financially by providing a textbook grant.

I would appreciate if students consider voting for me because I love hearing about the experiences of different individuals and I will make sure their voices are represented. 

Mahmoud Elmasry

Photo Provided

My name is Mahmoud Elmasry and I’m a second-year BGINS student. Despite the circumstances we’re in, I have been able to get involved with and get to know the various student associations at Carleton through my position as vice president (marketing) in the Egyptian Students’ Association (ESA).

As a triplet, I am often put in situations where I must be the voice of reason, having to represent 3 people all at once. I believe a listener and a communicative person is exactly what this current council needs, in order to move forward and build a healthier and more collaborative environment that respects the concerns of the student body.

Constructive communication is something the organization has been lacking lately, and I hope to address that as your next FPA CUSA councillor.

Pablo Mhanna

Photo Provided

Pablo Mhanna is in his third year of public affairs and policy management. He was born in Montreal to Chilean and Syrian parents and speaks English, French and Spanish.

After moving to Ottawa in 2009, he was inspired to get involved in the Franco-Ontarian community a school board student trustee and president of the Federation of Franco-Ontarian Youth (FESFO). Through this advocacy experience, Pablo learned of the important role governments play in helping out everyday people as well as the importance of holding elected officials accountable.

Mhanna hopes to bring this experience to CUSA as FPA councillor. He enjoys reading, writing, coffee and travelling. Pablo hopes to one day attend law school and travel to the Patagonia region of Chile and Argentina.

Sam Morency

Photo Provided

Sam Morency is a devoted community volunteer and leader. At Mother Teresa High School, Sam actively participated in student council, led workshops for mental health awareness and was elected student trustee for the Ottawa Catholic School Board to represent over 40,000 students.

At Carleton, Sam studies economics, where he can pursue his passion for public affairs and social issues. He continued his commitment to his community as a member of RRRA council, the CUSA executive compensation review committee and a frosh facilitator.

In the face of pandemic and technology issues, Sam hopes to improve access to mental health support, encourage flexibility from professors including recorded lectures and increase financial support. Looking forward, Sam will use his experience, commitment, and passion to work with public affairs students to strategize on what the new normal should look like after COVID-19.

Waqas Ali

(No photo provided)

I am Waqas Ali, a third-year economics major. I am running to change the votes of the council so that they are beneficial to students. 

Recently, there have been many motions that have been to the detriment of students, like banning Carleton students from voting if they opt-out of the CUSA fees. Or, banning Reddit as a campaigning platform, likely because many members of the Reddit community are biased against the current leadership.

I hope to change the council and to make every student’s voice heard. I also plan on capping the executive pay, tuition, residence fees with the inflation rate, create an opt-out for athletics fees and attempt to ban proctored exams.

Candidates Anthony Valenti, Hibrahima Dieng, Michael Bradley and Nora Draper did not submit bios in time for publication. 

Featured graphic by Etta Gerrits.