Home 2021 CUSA Election Meet the CUSA candidates for faculty of science councillor

Meet the CUSA candidates for faculty of science councillor

405
Graphic by Etta Gerrits.

The Carleton University Students’ Association is holding online elections for its executives and councillors on Feb. 3 and 4. Students will elect six executives and 26 councillors, including four councillors for the faculty of science.

The Charlatan asked each candidate running for science councillor for a 150-word written profile. Profiles have been edited for clarity.

Alexis St. Pierre

[No photo provided.]

My name is Alexis St. Pierre and I am in my third year of neuroscience and mental health with a minor in biology and psychology. Carleton University has given me so much over the past few years, so I feel that now is my time to give back to the students in any way possible!

After taking on many leadership roles throughout my time on my high school’s student council, taking part in numerous clubs at Carleton and being the vice president of a women’s philanthropic organization, I believe I have all the qualities that would make me a successful and reliable science councillor.

I recognize that being a councillor is not only about being organized and devoted, but it is about advocating for students’ needs. As science councillor, I want to push for greater student accessibility, promote new opportunities for science students, and advocate for total transparency between CUSA and the student body!

Conall McCutcheon

Photo provided.

My name is Conall McCutcheon and I’m a second year health sciences student with a concentration in biomedical sciences. I’m running to be a councillor for the faculty of science because the pandemic and transition to remote learning has presented unaddressed needs among students in my faculty. These needs could be fixed in their interest with a strong voice on CUSA council.

I have experience in a council setting, acting in both representative and executive positions in my high school’s student council. As a councillor, I hope to improve communication between my faculty and CUSA, voice the needs of my fellow STEM students and bring change to address said needs, such as change in the CGPA scholarship requirements to accommodate for remote learning.

I believe students should vote for me as I believe I have the skillset, capacity and drive to act as an effective councillor on their behalf.

Greg Dance

[No photo provided.]

I am a neuroscience student who is a representative on the Carleton Science Student Society and the Carleton Academic Student Government council, which worked for compassionate grading practices this year.

I’ve also attended many CUSA council meetings as a student-at-large, spearheading a group of councillors and student leaders to advocate against unfair opt-out practices with the FundQi levy. The outcome of this was a great success, with a referendum coming in March!

If elected, I intend to once again work closely with Matt Gagné (or whoever else gets elected) to push for real change in CUSA. My platform goals include motions for banning slates from elections and implementing one year term limits on executive positions. I also plan on advocating for more funds to be allocated to scholarships for students who are struggling, no strings attached.

No dynasty should occupy the executive positions for years without end. Students need to see change in CUSA, and I’ll deliver.

Hashim Awan

Photo provided.

I am more than my degree, a letter grade and a grade-point average. I want to be defined by the impact I have and the relationships I build. To me, the most rewarding aspect of any challenge is not success—it’s the personal self-development and the relationships with peers and colleagues.

I may be chosen among you, but that surely would not rank me above you. Let us work together to make this society more kind, more acceptable and more caring. Help me accomplish it, as we all are equal. The greater the difficulty, the more glory in surmounting it. Even skillful pilots gain their reputation from storms and tempests. Let us bury the seed together and watch it grow.

My name is Hashim Awan and I am running for science counsellor. I hope you will make the right decision in helping me make this a reality.

Michael Aide

Photo provided.

I’m Michael and I’m a third-year earth science student! I am running because through discussions with my classmates, I have heard concerns about the university and CUSA that I would like to be a part of addressing.

My major goal as councillor is to get and keep discussions going. I feel there is a very toxic mindset going on right now that if you have opposing thoughts with someone else, their thoughts are invalid, and this is simply not true. Through discussion and transparency, democracy can be made stronger.

I have been a CUSA councillor before and so I’m familiar with and understand its inner workings. This experience interacting with other councillors, executives, policies and even other student associations are what I believe make me the ideal candidate and if elected would allow me to be an efficient and responsible councillor.

Patrick Ene

[No photo provided]

My name is Patrick Ene and I am in my third year of the honours computer science program with a concentration in game development.

I am running to become a science councillor because I believe in fair representation of the students when making critical decisions that affect them. As a councillor, I would hope to lobby for more transparency with regards to the usage of fees paid by students as well as added accommodation for distance students, especially international students in different time zones.

I have volunteered with the Science Student Success Centre as well as the Carleton Computer Science Society. I am also the vice president (public relations) of the Carleton University Nigerian Students Association.

With that experience, I am confident that with your vote I would be able to adequately vouch for the needs of the students of the faculty of science and Carleton at large.