Photo by Nick Galipeau.

A recent McGill University graduate has created an online application called Salaam Swipe, a Tinder-like app intended for Muslims.

While similar to Tinder, Salaam Swipe allows extra information to be included in the profile, according to Khalil Jessa, Salaam Swipe’s creator.

Users can select whether they are more liberal or conservative, if they are practicing or non-practicing, or if they’re willing to convert if not already a Muslim.

Users can also share their level of education, where they were born, and where they live.

What information is shared is up to the user, Jessa said, with the option to keep personal details private or have the freedom to disclose it. Another tool is incognito mode, which can hide a user’s profile from friends or family.

Launched on Aug. 17, Salaam Swipe already has thousands of users, according to Jessa, who uses the app himself.

“As a young Muslim, one of the things I noticed is it’s hard finding someone with similar beliefs to you and to also level the playing field for everyone,” Jessa said. “I wanted to answer the problem facing the Muslim community, which is being able to meet someone inside of the community instead of out of it.”

Yaasin Soormally, a third-year engineering student at Carleton and practicing Muslim, said he believes the app will attract many users, but doesn’t see himself using it.

“I think it’s a good idea because it’s just a new way to meet people, especially if you think religion is important, but if I’m dating someone, I’d rather try meet them in person and not a screen,” Soormally said.

Serge Desmarais, a professor at the University of Guelph, said web-based dating apps such as Salaam Swipe and the Jewish counterpart J-Swipe are becoming increasingly popular as many people believe religion is important in their dating criteria.

“All of these these new apps are based on similar principles but take into account things like dating and meeting somebody of their own faith,” Desmarais said. “Therefore it creates a tool that allows users to have that part of the puzzle taken care of.”

“Some religions are tighter around dating and marrying outside of their faith. This app also replicates how in the past, many people would be brought to meet potential partners through events such as church groups,” Desmarais added. “This simplifies the modern-day search.”