(Graphic by Austin Yao)

McGill University has denounced Quebec’s proposed charter of values, saying it contradicts the university’s principles.

The proposed charter would prohibit public service employees from wearing religious clothing and symbols at the workplace, including turbans, hijabs, and kippahs.

McGill released a statement Sept. 17, in which the university’s principal and vice-chancellor Suzanne Fortier said the school affirmed the right of religious groups on campus to visibly practice their faith.

“The proposal to prohibit our professors and staff from wearing visible religious symbols runs contrary to our principles,” the statement read. “We are committed to promoting a climate of tolerance on campus which will allow all of students, faculty and staff to flourish in their pursuits.”

Doug Sweet, director of internal communications at McGill, said he was unable to comment further, and said the statement spoke for itself. But he provided an excerpt from a Sept. 26 Board of Governors meeting that summarized the university’s position.

“The right of religious choice and cultural diversity are essential values for the McGill community,” the excerpt stated.

Various groups on McGill’s campus have also spoken out regarding the proposed charter.

In a statement, the McGill University Health Centre declared its “shared and steadfast belief in providing an opening and welcome environment” to all hospital employees, volunteers, and patients in being able to wear unconcealed religious symbols.

“We believe exercising this choice in no way impedes one’s capacity to carry out his or her professional activities in our academic and hospital communities,” the statement read. “Together, we are committed to creating an environment that represents a wide range of cultural, religious and other perspectives, to provide excellence in education, research and health care for Quebec society.”

Youcef Rahmani, vice-president (external) of McGill’s Muslim Students Association said he understood the charter’s purpose, but said its execution is flawed.

“I think [the charter] is grounded in legitimate claims in the sense of . . . equality, promoting gender equality, just the equal treatment towards different religions in Canada,” Rahmani said. “Neutrality is important to the state [but] how they want that neutrality to be shown is where it’s problematic,” he said. “We’re being coerced into acting in a certain manner if we want to integrate or work in government or affiliated sectors.”

Rahmani said it was important for McGill to release the statement because it allows students to see that their school is taking a stance on the issue, rather than not caring.

“It reassures a lot of faith groups on campus that McGill supports them,” he said.