Photo by Kyle Fazackerley.

Carleton students can exchange canned goods to reduce their library fines as a part of the annual Food for Fines campaign, which runs March 23-29.

The initiative, organized by Carleton’s MacOdrum library, will waive $2 of library fines from students’ accounts for each canned good they bring in. Students can waive up to $20 in fines—or 10 cans—through donations. All canned goods will be donated to the Carleton University Students’ Association’s (CUSA) Food Centre on campus.

Isaac Fierro, the Stacks Services co-ordinator at the library, said Food for Fines has been an annual initiative at Carleton since 2007, making this the ninth year of the program.

“We choose to do it in March because it’s one of the busiest months right before finals start,” he said. “It’s a win-win for students either way. With less money you can cover more for your fines. And then that food is actually put to good use on campus.”

In 2014, the library waived about $1,000 in fines or 500 canned goods, according to Fierro.

Brandon Ciesielski, a Stacks Services student assistant, said the library charges students 50 cents a day for late library books.

“If you have four books late for a day, one can of food will cover your whole fine,” he said.

In 2014, the initiative collected fewer cans than usual, Fierro said, because renovations slowed down library traffic.

Clarissa Chambers, CUSA Food Centre co-ordinator, said the cans donated from Food for Fines will help support the centre during a busy time. She said the centre serves 60 to 100 people each month.

By filling out a form, students, staff, and faculty can receive up to 15 items twice a month from the centre, Chambers said.

“Around exam time and holidays it’s very busy here,” she said. “But in the summer time, the donations decline almost to zero.”

The Food Centre also gives out hygiene products, diapers, and perishable items such as milk, eggs, and margarine, Chambers added.

“You might use the Food Centre once in your life out of your four years at Carleton or every two weeks,” she said.