Photo by Trevor Swann

The Liberal government is committing $1.5-million to help universities and colleges better tackle the issue of on-campus sexual violence. 

The money is to be spent over a period of two years, Maryam Monsef, the minister for women and gender equality said. It will go towards providing further resources that post-secondary institutions need to deal with the problem of sexual violence on campuses.

One in five women experience sexual assault while attending a post-secondary institution, according to the Canadian Federation of Students Ontario (CFS). 

Many schools are beginning to see the investment of the Liberal government as a starting point in fighting sexual violence on campus. 

The budget for combatting sexual violence on campus compared to other federal programs in the 2019 budget. [Infographic by Meral Jamal]
Where somebody goes to school shound not affect the level of support a survivor of sexual violence receives, said Sydney Bothwell, manager of the Ryerson Students’ Union’s Centre for Safer Sex and Sexual Violence Support.

It is crucial to invest money into such issues, said Bothwell.

“Students at post-secondary institutions disproportionately face sexual and gender-based violence where it should be safe for students and staff,” she said. 

Other plans have been made by the Ontario government to go against sexual violence, such as the It’s Never Okay: An Action Plan to Stop Sexual Violence and Harassment (SVHAP) action plan pledged in 2015.

A three-year plan consisting of $41-million, SVHAP includes actions to provide further support for sexual violence survivors, while making workplaces and campuses a safer environment for all people. 

In Sept. 2017, Monsef announced another plan by the Liberal government to invest $20-million in funding to support LGBTQ, Indigenous, immigrants, seniors, and disabled survivors of sexual violence.

The investment is positive for post-secondary institutions, said Saphiya Suren, second-year global and international studies student at Carleton.

“It is crucial to invest money into issues like sexual violence on campuses. As students attending school, we need to feel safe and supported on campus,” Suren said.  

$1.5-million is a high starting point, but more work needs to be done, said Bothwell.

“Universities need to create safer spaces for survivors who come from historically underserved communities, as well as foster conscientious campus climates that centre consent culture and empower bystander intervention,” she said.

Many post-secondary institutions already have services offered to students and staff regarding support and information about sexual violence.

Carleton provides sexual assault support services through Equity and Inclusive Communities, where individuals can be provided with the support and services necessary.

File photo.