Cats rule, dogs drool.

There, I said it.

Before I explain, I should note that I have owned both a cat and a dog in my life, and love them equally as much. But the facts pointing to cat supremacy are overwhelming and undeniable.

Cats can be trusted to go outside by themselves, they can be easily trained to defecate in a small box indoors, and don’t require several daily walks. They are natural insect repellents, and self-groom, which results in a much more pleasant odour than any dog is capable of.

Historically, dogs were domesticated much earlier than cats because they were used for hunting purposes. Recent studies pinpoint the beginning of cat domestication at around 12,000 years ago in the Middle East, when the first human agricultural societies began storing surplus crops.

But unlike dogs, humans did not domesticate cats; cats actually domesticated themselves, out of convenience and for their own survival. The first wild cats to wander into a town were probably delighted by the abundance of prey in these crop storehouses and decided to stick around. Thus began the mutually-beneficial relationship between cat and human.

While studies have not conclusively said which pet is smarter, self-domestication is just another indication that cats are better than dogs.

Need more convincing?

Cats have been proven to be statistically cheaper. The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals estimates that in the first year of ownership, cats cost roughly one thousand dollars, but dogs can cost up to almost two thousand. They are also cheaper in the long run, with costs estimated at around $670 per year for the rest of their lives while dogs can cost up to $875 a year.

They even have a smaller ecological footprint (or should I say, paw print) than dogs, taking up only 0.15 hectares of resources, which is less than a quarter of what a dog needs.

According to a 2012 study done by the American Veterinary Medical Association, 36.5 per cent of households have a dog while only 30.6 per cent have a cat. But there are over four million more pet cats than dogs in the country because cat owners frequently have more than one.

This can only mean that cat owners are so happy with their pet, they are always ready to welcome another into their home. Three or four cats make a happy family, but three or four dogs can be a stressful situation.

While both pets have been used to lower blood pressure and reduce anxiety in humans, a cat’s purr is medically therapeutic for many illnesses and injuries. Cats create purr vibrations within a range 20 to 140 Hz—a frequency experts say can help the healing of soft tissue, promote bone strength, and reduce swelling.

Cat owners also have a 40 per cent less risk of heart attack.

A cat is just as fun to play with as a dog. Mine for instance, chases her tail, and plays fetch with me. They can be entertaining without being destructive. And when they are destructive, it’s in an adorable way that will earn you plenty of Internet fame.

The main arguments I hear against cats are that they are sassy, temperamental animals.

But let me tell you, if a cat accepts you as one of its own, you’re golden. A dog loves everyone it meets. But you have to earn a cat’s trust.

It will come greet you at the door when you get home from work, but you have to prove you’re worth getting excited over first. And to me, that is the most rewarding part of owning a cat.

Maybe those crazy cat ladies are not so crazy after all.