RE: “Mayoral election ignored student issues” Nov. 6-12.

I had the privilege of helping out with the municipal elections on Oct. 27. On election day I acted as scrutineer, through which I was able to observe those who came to vote. Let’s just say something didn’t seem right.

Let me start by saying I am a grateful immigrant to Canada.

I come from a region in the world that is infested with corruption, fraud, bribery, and intolerance.

Though it can be argued to be one of the most beautiful places on Earth, devastation is everywhere in my home country.

I wonder to myself, what makes Canada different?

After thoughtful contemplation I realized the answer is one that is too often neglected and taken for granted: democracy.

In many cases, it appears as though the same individuals who post on social media about Remembrance Day and the sacrifices of our soldiers fail to vote in elections.

It seems ironic how we can easily say “lest we forget” when we neglect the very institution that our troops fought for.

With the past municipal elections, I noticed voter turnout was quite low. There are many factors which may cause such a disturbing fact, but one cannot simply put blame on the politicians and public figures.

Yes, there should be a certain level of outreach to inform the public and keep them engaged, but judging oneself before pointing fingers is crucial in moving forward.

Too often problems are brought up and only talking occurs. Where is the action? Where is the sense of responsibility? Where is the eagerness to make a change for the better?

Ignorance is the most harmful issue in society. We need to be proactive and reactive. We need to take initiative to know and be engaged.

I find it mind-boggling how some individuals spend so much of their time giving back to the community and taking on numerous roles and responsibilities, while others have so much spare time.

There are so many issues in which students should get invovled. By being more involved, you will be more informed and more motivated to impact change. One way change can be made is through voting in elections.

With the Carleton University Students’ Association elections coming and federal elections scheduled for 2015, this is a prime time for students to get involved.

Ask questions and seek answers. Don’t let ignorance dominate your life, and don’t be naive of all the problems facing society.

Leaders and public figures have their downfalls, but they are human. They make mistakes.

When this happens, we should be there to guide them and remind them of their duties and obligations.

We need to remind them that leadership is not a position of prestige and pleasure, but rather one of burden and responsibility. There is no age group that has more energy and motivation than the youth.

Unfortunately, it isn’t being put to good use. Youth are considering the foundations of the future, and if this holds true I am worried about the future of Canada. Life is short, and our youth is even shorter.

If we are not active and contributing members to society, the community cannot flourish.