Not too long ago, there was a global outpouring of anger and grief when a famed African lion named Cecil was killed by an American hunter, Walter Palmer.

The hunter, who claimed the hunt was legal, was reprimanded by the public for his act and a social media firestorm erupted regarding trophy hunting and the issues surrounding it.

Trophy hunting, or sport hunting, is the killing of animals for sport and involves harvesting parts of the animal as a trophy.

But despite the attention to the sport after Cecil’s death, most were still unaware of its prevalence, even in our own country, and then promptly forgot about it after their initial emotional reaction had faded.

Cecil was a thirteen-year-old lion found in the Hwange National Park in Zimbabwe. He was part of an Oxford University study and was fitted with a tracking collar. His friendly disposition towards tourists, coupled with his regal black-fringed mane, made him a local favourite. Cecil had established a pride and had fathered cubs.

One night, with the assistance of his hunting outfit, Palmer baited and lured Cecil out of the park where he proceeded to shoot the lion with a bow. Injured, Cecil managed an escape and was tracked for nearly 40 hours before being located again and killed.

The illegal nature of the hunt and the disappearance of the tracking collar resulted in an investigation which soon revealed the identity of the hunter. Had it not been for Cecil’s fame, his death would have been yet another statistic. But, perhaps shockingly to most, according to the study of which Cecil was a part, of the 62 lions tracked, 24 were killed by trophy hunters.

Evidently, trophy hunting thrives. This month will see a trophy hunting conference hosted in Toronto.

Proponents of trophy hunting justify their actions by citing ecological management, and community support amongst others. Yet despite these benevolent claims, the essence of their actions remains unchanged: the killing of animals in the name of sport.

The long-term effects of trophy hunting are grim. It has resulted in the extinction of a multitude of species, including the Tasmanian tiger, the dodo, and the passenger pigeon. Years of hunting have led to the demise of the rhinoceros, and this year, one of only three northern white rhinoceros perished, leaving behind only two in existence.

Compounding this problem, a South African Court ruled earlier this year to lift the ban on the local trade of rhino horns, thereby easing the trade across the state.

It is easy to look abroad and cast judgment upon those who commit these acts. However, trophy hunting is also prevalent in Canada. Polar bears, grizzly bears, wolves and other fauna endemic to the continent are routinely killed for sport as well.

While these events might be disheartening, it is important to know they are preventable. People can work with animal welfare groups and speak to their elected officials and voice their concern. The awareness of the general public combined with disapproval can render many of these actions illegal.