There has always been a debate as to whether or not sororities and fraternities should be allowed on university campuses. Undoubtedly, there are benefits to Greek life, such as meeting new people, networking, and the philanthropic contributions these groups make. All sororities and fraternities hold their members to a high standard and value, and all members are expected to live and act by these values. Unfortunately, on Feb. 28, one sorority did not uphold this high standard and the entire Carleton community suffered.

The recent events of this sorority created havoc across campus by popping 80 balloons simultaneously, which were misinterpreted as gun shots. As well as the popping of balloons, the sorority members were screaming with excitement, which many students interpreted as screams of terror.

This individual sorority caused a campus-wide lockdown and with this, they should lose the right and privilege to associate with Carleton by no longer being able to meet or hold events on campus.

This sorority clearly demonstrated negligence and carelessness by not having the foresight to consider the practicality of popping 80 balloons on a university campus. The Carleton University Greek Council Constitution states “each chapter must follow all policies of Carleton University.”

Yet on Feb. 28,  one sorority did not uphold this rule. The Carleton University Statement on Conduct and Human Rights states, “No member of the University community may engage in violent, threatening, disruptive, abusive or obstructive misconduct,” and “no member of the University community may engage in conduct that causes another person to fear for his or her safety.”

Following the sorority’s violation of these policies, the group should no longer be able to affiliate with Carleton. There needs to be consequences for the events that occurred on Feb. 28, and as one sorority is single-handedly to blame, they should pay for their actions rather than letting the incident tarnish the reputation of all Greek communities and the good they do on campus.