RE: Sock ‘n’ Buskin should strive for more diversity, Nov. 19-25.

Interest in theatre and performance has been decreasing for a long time now. Fewer people are interested in spending money to see performances that they can’t see on television.

Sock ’n’ Buskin Theatre Company is one of the oldest and continually-running theatre companies in the country, and has born witness to the decline of interest in theatre. Last year, Sock ’n’ Buskin worked hard to revive interest and reach out to the Carleton community to contribute—an open call for plays of all kinds, from all kinds.

Unfortunately, only a few students submitted works of their own and of their favourite authors.

That being said, the editorial published about Sock ’n’ Buskin’s lack of diversity hits me hard because of certain implications in it.

In no way has the company not included anyone for any reason other than poor attitude, or—in terms of casting—because of an inability to accommodate all of the amazing people who come out to auditions.

Last year, I was a first-year student at Carleton and I threw myself into my studies, but had a really hard time dealing with residence and getting out to make friends. I was dealing with seasonal affective disorder. I was far away from home, where my father’s wife was dying from cancer, and I was struggling to get assignments finished on time even though it felt like all I did was schoolwork. And then, I found Sock ’n’ Buskin.

My experience with the company has been an incredible one. Actually, I wasn’t even cast in the first show I auditioned for, but because I volunteered backstage for our production of Bonnie and Clyde, I was asked to help as an assistant stage manager for our production of The Mouse That Roared.

Here, I found the most incredible community I’ve ever had the pleasure of being a part of. I was welcomed with open arms and made incredible friendships. This year, I have the pleasure of being on the board of the company. This amazing group of people gave me a reason to get out of bed early even though I hardly knew them. They made me finally feel at home in Ottawa, and helped me cope after a difficult time.

The editorial makes a valid statement that Sock ’n’ Buskin should strive for a more multicultural focus, but it’s a company also working with what it has got.

There was no exclusion in the submission process and certainly none in the auditioning process of any of the shows. The original editorial states we have a lack of female voices, yet our board is half female and we have cast females in major male roles this year.

We want more diversity. We want to challenge people’s preconceptions of theatre. We also have to work with the submissions we get and the people who audition. To imply we are trying to do anything but this breaks my heart.

This year, I’m playing a role in our production of Dr. Faustus, and will be stage manager for As You Like It. It’s been a lot of work, but I have the most incredible community to support me.

Last month, my grandmother went to the hospital with pneumonia and did not recover. The only thing that kept me sane through that horrible time was the Sock ’n’ Buskin community. This community of caring and intelligent human beings was there to support me, and creating something with them kept me smiling.

This company is as inclusive as a group can get, and I hope the Carleton community can see and understand this. I hope students feel comfortable sending in submissions or auditioning, because we want everyone to be a part of this community. I want everyone to experience the inclusivity and love I have had with this company.