Full disclosure, I am a smoker.

I started before my 16th birthday about four years ago. Now, I hear that the University of Prince Edward Island (UPEI) is joining a few other schools in going smoke-free. That means no cigarettes, electronic cigarettes, water pipes, cigars, or tobacco anywhere on campus.

As a smoker, I heard this and scoffed. But deep down, I think this is a good idea. Some students may say that smoking is their stress-relief. Even I say this. But it is not fact. More accurately, lighting up a cigarette has been shown to increase anxiety and tension. While students like myself might feel immediate release when the smoke hits their lips, they are not doing themselves any favours.

Then, there’s the obvious physical health risks. I used to force myself to read the various messages with horrific photos on the hundreds of packs of cigarettes I have been through, hoping they would motivate me to quit. I try to ignore them now, but it is hard to forget that every time I light up another smoke, I am increasing my risk of cancer, blood clots, heart disease, various lung issues and so much more.

From my experience, quitting feels almost impossible. But reducing the amount that I smoke, or delaying having another one, is not as bad as knowing that this is the last one I will ever have. And reducing is so much easier to do the more smoking is made inconvenient.

When I hang out with non-smokers or am stuck in a smoke-free area, I find other things to keep myself distracted. That way, it is not so bad, and some nights I will get in bed and realize I only had one cigarette that day instead of my usual four to 10. So, maybe being forced to walk five minutes to get off-campus to buy smokes no matter the weather would help me reduce that number even more during the school year.

Now I know, some do not consider me a “real smoker.” I have been at this for four years and still do not go through that “pack a day.” And so, some people say I must not know what it is like to be addicted. But again, this is not fact. Rather, I practice mindfulness meditation to try and keep some moderation. And trust me, I suck at avoiding smoking when I am stressed.

But you see my point? Cigarettes are not really helping me in any way. And they are not helping my friends, strangers around me, the animals, or the environment. We all know that secondhand smoke, like first-hand smoke, is super harmful, and those piles of cigarette butts and clouds of smoke can’t be good for wildlife either.

So from one self-aware smoker, props to you, UPEI.