Sex is a part of life that most university students engage in regularly. However, openly discussing sex or a sex life that deviates from “the norm” continues to be treated as a taboo topic. Alienating people based on their sexual preferences—regardless of how simple or extreme they may be—reduces the likelihood that these behaviours will be discussed and expressed in a comfortable manner. This lack of comfort leaves room for a lack of sexual education, and increases the risk of students engaging in unsafe sex.

However, events like this past weekend’s Sexapalooza—where every gender, sexual preference, and wild fantasy is accepted and encouraged—perpetuate a positive sexual dialogue that should be more common in our culture.

“Sexy” is not typically the first word that comes to mind when one thinks of Ottawa. As the nation’s capital, the city is usually described as the buttoned-up, sensible older brother between Toronto and Montreal. But for the past 10 years, Sexapalooza—a weekend-long adult consumer expo—has been challenging this perception with its erotic and intriguing atmosphere that encourages sexual expression and exploration.

As someone who considers themselves quite sexually liberal, I figured it was time to take a trip to the Shaw Centre and pop my Sexapalooza cherry. Like most first times, my friends and I were unsure about what to expect as we purchased our “sexy student” discount tickets and waited in line. Sexapalooza was dimly lit, but had a welcoming vibe that was amplified by upbeat music and a plethora of sex paraphernalia. From the classics like condoms and lube, to more adventurous toys such as whips, dildos, and even a vibrating life-size silicone butt, there was definitely something for everyone.

In addition to countless products you could squeeze and squish, there was an abundance of information booths, seminars, and workshops dedicated to the encouragement of sexual expression in a safe and healthy way. There were also many medical professionals onsite to answer any sexual health questions the event’s diverse attendees might have. Although intimidating at first, Sexapalooza was the perfect mix of sexual exploration and education. The event’s judgement-free environment made the subject of sex easy and enjoyable to talk about.

The way I see it: if engaging in sex is so common, we should celebrate a whole weekend dedicated to just that. Many students drive cars, and would not hesitate to attend an auto show. Like an auto show, Sexapalooza allows people to learn about the different products, understand the safety precautions available, and even take certain models out for a test drive. Figuring out their sexual preferences is an important part of students’ self-discovery, so why not do this at Sexapalooza while surrounded by other like-minded and open individuals?

I may have been nervous and hesitant as I walked into the event, but I can confidently say that I didn’t walk out that way. Sexapalooza was an educating experience, and helped me feel more comfortable about expressing my sexuality. I’ll definitely be going back again next year.

– Photo by Shanice Pereira