RE: The kids are alright: generational stereotypes are nothing new, Oct. 8-14

Technology is changing at such a fast pace, it’s hard to keep up. Snapchat filters? I’m still trying to figure those out. So can we blame older generations for doing double-takes when they see someone taking a selfie?

After all, we could commission a painting of ourselves, like in the Elizabethan era, or pay to have photographs done at Sears.

We could do that, sure. Or, we could snap a picture of ourselves doing what we’re doing, add a quick caption, and send it off. The message is conveyed in 10 seconds, and often includes a lot more detail than words could describe. In a world of increasing technology, it surprises me that the same people griping about a loss of face-to-face communication are the same people discussing how selfies are a form of narcissism destroying the youth.

Selfies aren’t the downfall of society. Rather, they’re an indication of the creativity and ingenuity of today’s youth.

The face conveys a wealth of emotional information. It’s such an important tool for communicating. The selfie is merely a way to bring that back into relationships through technology, rather than to spite it.

However, there are some subtleties to selfie communication, and I think this is where the older generations get confused. Expressions have connotations, can be exaggerated, and can clash with the caption to send an additional message. It’s a language that is rapidly evolving and changing to suit the needs of its users.

Granted, a lot of selfies posted on public forms of social media, not Snapchat, are of people looking their best, leading some to call the trend narcissistic. But those aren’t the majority of selfies. What the general population sees of someone’s selfie collection is just the tip of the iceberg.

In a culture that teaches young girls their looks are their most valuable attribute, is it so surprising that a selfie where they look amazing is what they choose to share? So many more photos of people looking sad, angry, goofy, or showing nine chins are below the surface of what most people can see. They’re just being sent directly from person-to-person, in a Snapchat or a text message, rather than as a public announcement.

Selfies are an incredible tool of expression, but one where the subtleties are lost on people not directly involved in its creation and current evolution. They’re incredibly personal, quick and easy, and fun to use. They’re not professional, no, but they send massive amounts of information in an extremely efficient way.

Our generation can’t be so bad—we invented a new visual language.