For some, John A. Macdonald, one of our country’s founders, and Egerton Ryerson, a pioneer of public education in Ontario, no longer have a place in Canadian history, aside from being remembered as villains responsible for residential schools. Not only is this view overly simplistic, but unfair to those who contributed so much to our country.

We celebrate historical figures for their accomplishments in the making of Canada as we know it. While it would be wrong to blindly worship them in light of their grave policy mistakes, we cannot simply reject their importance by measuring their views and practices by today’s standards and values regarding our current understanding of human rights.

Residential schools are one of the darkest parts of our past and no one defending these historical figures is trying to deny or minimize the gravity of that fact. However, while these men were flawed, we can’t ignore their achievements. John A. Macdonald was our first prime minister. He was also corrupt. He is also the reason Canada exists today. Being a father of Confederation isn’t just a negligible anecdote that should be disregarded out of political correctness, and being behind the creation of one of the greatest countries in the world definitely deserves recognition.

We can’t just hold every historical figure accountable by today’s standards. Winston Churchill was immensely proud of the British Empire. Should we cease to admire him due to his colonial sentiments, despite the leadership he showed in opposing Hitler’s Nazi regime? Gandhi, while advocating for the rights of South Africa’s Indian population, apparently made remarks and expressed views about Africans that would not be acceptable by today’s standards. Should we remove the Gandhi statue in front of Richcraft Hall despite him freeing India from British rule through a peaceful revolution?

History is complex and so are the figures who have marked it. We should see them for who they were: imperfect, yes, but with vision and drive that led them to achieve great things. They should be remembered for what they accomplished, not erased from the collective memory for their flaws and mistakes.

I believe it is easier to blame and channel our anger at people from the past, long gone and incapable of defending themselves, than it is to acknowledge our own responsibility concerning Indigenous suffering today. Instead of trying to rewrite the past, let’s focus on how to make improvements now.