(File photo illustration by Carol Kan)

Re: Carleton could benefit from tailgate culture

I enjoyed reading Mr. Kolanko’s article offering some constructive criticism about Carleton’s efforts to create a fun and inviting atmosphere during our inaugural football season. I think it’s wonderful that Mr. Kolanko cares enough about his school to put his thoughts in writing. His concerns and ideas are important.

However, I do want to offer a response that clarifies a number of important points that were made.

First and foremost, comparing a Division 1 school football program that’s been around for the better part of a century with Carleton’s program, which has been around for one year, is a bit unfair.  I too have been down south for sporting events and have visited campuses such as Penn State.

The pageantry and sense of community is hard to believe. The United States has a unique culture that has grown organically over decades. Carleton wants to go in this direction but it will take time. Certainly with the success of this year, we’ve taken a strong step forward.

Varsity sports in Canada, particularly basketball and football, do not seem to generate the same level of student interest as they do down south. This reality has stymied Canadian university administrators for decades. It is a longstanding problem, but one Carleton is willing to confront.

Each of the four football programs that played on our field this past season said Carleton had the best football atmosphere they had played in for some time. This is a testament to the leadership of our athletics department and the Old Crows who have been instrumental in supporting the return of football to the university.

The sound system, the fireworks, the food trucks, the inflatables, the stadium, the sharp uniforms, the beer in the stands (we’re the only university in Ontario that does this)—it all adds up to an experience that seems to be unique, at least within Ontario. Despite the rain at the Throwback game, the students and alumni that I spoke to during the game said the day was fantastic.

Which brings me to treating students like adults. There are a lot of constraints in the world we live in today. U.S. schools and venerable institutions like McGill and Queen’s have the benefit of cultures that have been present for many decades. We on the other hand are building from scratch and as a result, Carleton has to be mindful of the expectations and rules society has set out for this type of activity.

Nevertheless, we did have tailgating at Throwback. Students were treated like adults and the vast majority reciprocated and had a blast—respectfully I might add. And despite rumblings every now and again, administration has staunchly avoided tackling the University of Ottawa song. Once again, because our students are adults and they know by and large when it’s okay to break this chant out.

At the end of the day, Carleton had to build a program from scratch in 2013. The university and the Old Crows have done everything and more to make sure we’re setting the table. It is students themselves who need to attend the games and build the unique aspects of the culture that is Carleton varsity athletics.

Whether that’s chants, dancing, or whatever, the university can’t make this happen. Knowing my community and students pretty well, I have every confidence they will rise to the occasion and make Carleton’s football program as unique and as successful as any program in Canada. Go Ravens!