This year, from Aug. 21 to 27, Capital Pride is happening in Ottawa to celebrate the LGBTQ+ community.

Much has happened in 2017 regarding LGBTQ+ issues worldwide, with a constant debate regarding issues such as marriage equality, transgender rights, and gender neutrality.

While many of these topics will be  explored amongst other issues, they are sometimes not discussed as much during Pride in place of safer stories.

Viewing Pride Week just as a celebration denies all the hard work and struggles that people now and before have faced within the LGBTQ+ community.

For me, Pride Week is a special time to self-reflect, and a safe space where I can freely be myself. I am proud and privileged to live in a country where I am able to marry someone of the same sex, and where I am able to celebrate my sexuality with limited barriers.

But I still have much to learn, and I would be ignorant to say I am an expert regarding LGBTQ+ issues.

I would also be ignorant in saying that Canada is a fully accepting place, as that would be denying all the hard work that still needs to be done.

In the United States, ignorance and hatred was on full display with the events in Charlottesville, where there were derogatory statements made by alt-right groups towards the LGBTQ+ community.

A few weeks ago, U.S. President Donald Trump went on Twitter, where he publicly denied transgender people from serving in the military.

With a polarizing climate happening in the U.S., this is where Pride events occurring in Canada must continue to take a stance regarding intolerance happening domestically and internationally.

The results of a July 2017 poll released by the Angus Reid Institute suggested 58 per cent of Canadians were uncomfortable with gender-neutral birth certificates. And a 2016 Toronto Police report claimed that hate crimes against LGBTQ+ people made up 22 per cent of all hate crimes, with the number potentially being even higher.

There is still prejudice against people who are HIV-positive, and the occasional gay slur uttered within conversations.

Last year, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau became the first sitting prime minister to march in Pride parades across Canada.

But as shown, it takes  a lot more than just marching in a parade to stand up against bigotry.

This year, Capital Pride’s theme is “Just Be,” with its mission statement emphasizing an environment for “advocacy, education and celebration.” This letter is not denying that Pride should be a fun week, where there are some amazing events being hosted around the city.

But while Pride can be a celebration towards the progress being made, it must also continue to be a protest against the intolerance against the LGBTQ+ community.

By keeping Pride true to its political roots, real progress can continue to be made in Canada, and minority groups can be given a voice during a week where Pride is at the forefront in Ottawa.