(File photo illustration by Carol Kan)

As you may know, Pope Francis recently got the title of Time Magazine’s 2013 Person of the Year, which comes as no surprise to anyone following his papal reign.

Ever since his papacy began in March 2013, Francis has been proving time and time again not just what it means to be Christian, but what it means to be a good person. His teachings are all inclusive, for believers and non-believers alike.

His platform seems to be based on compassion, humility, and encompassment. His actions are leading to a progressive reform of Catholic teachings and Pope Francis is urging people to focus on the bigger ideas like love and tolerance rather than dwelling on dogmatic intricacies like the Church’s outdated views on homosexuality or abortion.

Actions speak louder than words and Francis knows that setting an example is an excellent starting point in getting people’s attention.

On Nov. 6, 2013, photos of Pope Francis embracing a man disfigured by neurofibromatosis went viral and he became known for his accessibility and concern for even the most marginalized members of society.

Several days later, Francis individually greeted hundreds of people in wheelchairs in Vatican City, contrasting the mindset that society has of rejecting people with physical disabilities. As he chatted with and embraced these individuals, he urged them to cast away any feelings of shame.

As well as his compassion, the Pope is known for his humility. He has rejected the Church’s long-held tradition of donning exquisite—and costly—robes, instead opting for much simpler attire.

He drives a 1984 Renault 4 with over 190,000 miles on it and he simply stated, “It hurts me when I see a priest or a nun with the latest model car, you can’t do this. A car is necessary to do a lot of work, but please, choose a more humble one. If you like the fancy one, just think about how many children are dying of hunger in the world.”

Although the position of the Pope is widely considered to be the highest-ranking Catholic authority, Francis understands that no human is qualified to judge others, which he believes is a task for God alone. He made this clear with his views on homosexuality when he stated, “If someone is gay and searches for the Lord and he has good will, who am I to judge?”

There are many Christians who think they are in positions to judge the way people love one another—such as the infamous Westboro Baptist Church—but yet here’s the Pope himself admitting it’s not his place.

He extended this compassion to atheists as well when he said, “Atheists should be seen as good people if they do good.” Francis is rapidly gaining respect by targeting larger demographics instead of just addressing his teachings to Catholics.

On Holy Thursday of 2013, Francis became the first Pope to ever wash a woman’s feet during the Church’s commemorative ritual that takes place on Easter. Among the feet he washed were prisoners, juvenile delinquents, and even a Muslim girl.

He also reaches out to other religions, such as Islam, stating, “I hope that Christians and Muslims engage in mutual respect, especially through the education of new generations.”

Occasionally, the Pope personally telephones people who write him letters, like victims of rape. He has a Twitter account with almost 3.5 million followers. There are rumours that he sneaks out at night to visit the poor and homeless.

Pope Francis is using his powerful platform to try to change the world for the better. Regardless of your religious affiliation, love, charity, and good deeds are, at least theoretically, the point of religion in the first place. It’s refreshing to see a religious leader living up to that standard.