There’s an Equity Services poster concerning sexual assault on the walls of Carleton. This poster states that, “No Means No” and repeats many other ways of saying no, such as “Not now means no,” “I’m drunk means no,” and so on.

I must first state that I believe sexual abuse is a serious problem in today’s society and needs to be properly addressed and resolved.

I’m not qualified to speak on this issue in its entirety; however, as a post-secondary student, I do feel qualified to address the issue within the context of the university setting. While I am in full support of sexual harassment education and prevention, I’m in strong disagreement with these “No Means No” posters due to their implicit message to men.

Posters that warn against and berate sexual abuse walk a fine line between educating the public and offending men. Since sexual assault offenders are predominantly men, most posters and other mass media are directed toward men. However, just because I’m a man doesn’t mean I’m a potential rapist. Even if the majority of sexual offenders are men, the majority of men are not sexual offenders. Therefore, these sorts of posters, which seem to suggest all men need reminding that “No Means No,” are insulting.

Furthermore, these posters are alienating half the demographic from the committee’s cause. As young men, many of us have sisters, girlfriends, and may have daughters in the near future.

Instead of saying “No Means No,” ask us to make the world safer for the women in our lives. Ask us to join your team in the fight towards ending sexual abuse. Ask us to be better men. But don’t call us all potential sexual abusers.

In the end, I’m saying you should have faith in the men in your community. We are your brothers, your boyfriends, and your husbands. We care for the health and safety of the women in our lives.

Instead of having posters that denounce men, ask for our assistance. We will respond.

— Marc Yegani,
second-year engineering