File photo by Carol Kan.

In an effort to become bilingual in both French and English, I have begun to seek out alternative options for learning the former fluently.

While I have taken a myriad of French classes during my time at Carleton, including a highly-touted online language program, nothing has brought about the level of understanding I was hoping for.

This quest to learn a new language has brought me to a small town in the Saguenay-Lac St. Jean region of Jonquière, Que.

Jonquière is one of 25 Canadian cities participating in the country-wide Explore program, an immersion experience designed for young people who want to experience a different culture while simultaneously absorbing themselves in the language of it.

Immersion was not something I had previously tried, so, taking a chance, I thought it might be a productive new option. Turns out I was right. I have found that total immersion in French is the absolute best method for learning the language. None of my previous attempts at learning French have been nearly as successful as direct immersion.

The Jonquière section of the Explore program is hosted by the Centre Linguistique at the Cégep de Jonquiere, my home for the past three weeks. The most important rule of the program is that you must absolutely speak in French at all times, to enhance your immersion experience.

Since my arrival, my French has been tried and tested in every single way imaginable, from intellectual debates to organizing games for local school kids. We have French class every morning and various activities during the afternoons, all of which require me to practice my French continuously.

Living in the Cégep residence has allowed me to make friends with people my own age. This is a great bonus as it gives me plenty of people to practice French with.

One of the benefits of Jonquiere’s program, specifically, is the fact that the majority of the population speaks only in French. Many of the other people in the program are living with host families for the duration of the five-week course, allowing them to take their French skills from the public to the private sphere.

People from all over Canada have come to Jonquière to learn French. It has been amazing to meet so many new people, hear their stories, and see what chance brought them to the same place as myself.

I’m halfway through the program, and I can already tell my French has progressed immensely. I’m excited for the next two weeks, and to see what my French will be like at the end of the program. This experience has taught me that total immersion is the best method for learning a new language.

I highly recommend Explore, or any other type of language immersion, to anyone who is looking to take their bilingualism or language skills to new heights.