Upon entering my final year at Carleton, I turn into my mother, and ask the cliché question: “Where has the time gone?” I have very few regrets about my university experience. Looking back, I see papers I could have edited before handing in, and assignments I could have started earlier. However, my biggest regret of university is not getting involved sooner.

Like many bright-eyed first years, I showed up on Academic Orientation Day with the full intention of signing myself up for every club and organization that suited my interests. If only I had followed through.

Orientation Day is a great way to get your foot in the door. Though I have the privilege of being in a position of leadership with several campus organizations this upcoming year, I can’t help but wonder where I’d be if I had gotten involved right from the very beginning. Getting to know your frosh facilitators and team leaders not only leads to a better frosh experience, but many of them are involved in leadership activities too. They can introduce you to new experiences within their groups after the week is over.

While joining clubs is a great way to build your Co-Curricular Record and résumé, and to get some “Get Involved, Get Recognized” buttons for your backpack, it’s also a way to build a strong network of friends and like-minded people. Whether you’re interested in making the world a better place, have a passionate hobby, or even like making and eating various types of sandwiches, there is a club on campus for you. Especially when you are first adjusting to university life, it’s comforting to bump into someone you know on campus.

Establishing your friendships early on campus will have you bumping into helpful friends ready to help you find your class in the depths of Loeb Building (Godspeed, friend). These are the friendships that will blossom into lifelong connections, and stick with you all the way through university.

And hey, maybe clubs aren’t your thing; that’s just fine. There are always sports teams you can join–both competitive and intramural. It’s also important to remember that getting involved in extracurricular activities is not a requirement to earn your degree.

Maybe your exciting opportunities will be found through co-operative education. Perhaps your newest friend who will stick next to you in the coming years sits beside to you in your lab. You may have a full-time job that you need to keep in order to help cover tuition fees. Whatever you are looking to gain from university outside of a degree can be found in many places on campus, and it is okay to feel a bit overwhelmed.

The important thing is that you’re adjusting to campus life in a way that makes you feel comfortable. Whatever your interests are, there is always a community willing and ready to welcome you. Whether it’s your roommates, your lab partner, sports team, or an organization, you can be sure you’ll leave Carleton with buckets full of happy memories and new adventures.