(File photo illustration by Carol Kan)

With the always-hectic return to school and the Carleton University Students’ Association (CUSA) elections just around the corner, a campus-wide referendum is far from anyone’s mind. It is important, however, that students are aware of the referendum question that will be attached to their ballot on Jan. 30-31.

In addition to voting for CUSA councillors and executives, students will also be asked if they support the increase of the Foot Patrol levy by 43 cents per semester. Although this question might seem mundane, the student vote will determine the future of the Foot Patrol service at Carleton.

Foot Patrol is a service that operates the campus Safe Walk program. Within the program, you can call the office or swing by their office on the fourth floor of the University Centre to request an accompanied walk, either on- or off-campus, between the hours of 6 p.m. to 2 a.m.

Volunteers will use public transit and can accompany students up to an hour off-campus. This program operates seven days a week, including holidays, to ensure the safety of students all school-year long.

Foot Patrol also operates the Walk and Talk program, Foot Patrol Event Teams/Guardian team (for large events) and the Borrow a First Aid Kit service. All of these programs are intended to promote on- and off-campus student safety and are operated by students on a volunteer basis.

When the motion to attach a referendum question about increasing Foot Patrol’s levy was brought forward at the CUSA council meeting on Jan. 8, the motion passed with an easy majority. In part, the motion read, and the referendum question will read: Do you support the increase of the Foot Patrol levy by $0.43 a semester?

The increased levy will allow Foot Patrol to provide Mental Health First Aid and Standard First Aid training to Foot Patrol volunteers, a second coordinator to support the continued expansion of Foot Patrol, and the creation of an app to facilitate electronic safe walk requests.

In addition to the referendum question, Liam Callaghan, Foot Patrol’s administrative coordinator, explained why the levy increase is so critical.

In responding to calls from students, it is best to equip Foot Patrol volunteers to handle any situation. The reality is, a walk request could come from a student in distress or a medical emergency could arise while a student is being accompanied by a Foot Patrol volunteer.

It is also unreasonable to ask volunteers to pay for their training. Callaghan wants to ensure that there is no financial barrier impeding students from getting involved with Foot Patrol. As students that are volunteering their time and services to promote student safety, it is imperative that they be supported in doing this important work.

The increase in the levy will allow Foot Patrol to hire a second part-time coordinator. Currently, Callaghan is the only part-time coordinator. More administrative assistance would enable Foot Patrol to pursue some long-term objectives, such as expanding service into the summer months.

The levy increase will assist in the development of a Foot Patrol app, in which students can text to request a walk home. Callaghan explained during council that it can be intimidating to approach the office and the reality is that many students are more comfortable with texting.

The primary goal of Foot Patrol is to ensure student safety after hours. Ultimately, the 0.43-cent increase per semester in the Foot Patrol levy will go unnoticed in tuition payments but will play a critical role in supporting Foot Patrol volunteers and services. The money devoted to training volunteers, hiring a second coordinator and developing an app will only work in favour of making Carleton’s campus safer and more accessible for us students.

The choice seems obvious.

On Jan. 30 to 31, vote yes to increase Foot Patrol’s levy.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Image from files