I was always proud of being within a community which really cares about its people and concern about them. Being a Carleton student was a supportive and exciting experience, “I thought.”

I used to tell my friends about the e-mails we are receiving from our university to support this nation or to show sympathy to this country. But I felt really annoyed and heartbroken because of the ignorance of Libya’s current issue. The uprising started in Libya more than 11 weeks ago but my community did not care about that issue at all, even by sending small e-mails which will have a great impact to students who are under a severe situation. You can imagine how disconcerting it must be for the Libyan students to be away from their families and loved ones. Not to mention, the possibility of cutting off the scholarship which we rely 100 per cent on for our living and the stress because of our studies, which we could not concentrate on anymore.

Other institutions gathered the Libyan students to talk with them. Although they were small gatherings, it’s still better than absolute ignorance.

I don’t know exactly why that is. I believe everyone around the world is aware about the terrible situations in Libya nowadays. Or it is because the Libyan students here are minority or maybe because Libya is just a small unknown country and does not deserve any concern. Is it?