Students have learned to avoid the tunnel junction between the University Center and the Tory building.

Most days you’re badgered by organizations, many of which are fraternity and sorority groups, for money to donate to various charities. Students are made to feel guilty that they can’t part with whatever change they have.

It isn’t right for frats and sororities to send students on a guilt trip because they can’t afford to donate.

Many students are in debt, struggling to make enough by working numerous jobs, or they are living off their parent’s money. These groups are asking for students to either give away money they do not own or give away what little money they have.

It’s fair to say they are not asking much, just some pocket change, but for students, that little bit does make a difference.

Students need every penny they have. A toonie for a student can buy a coffee to help you make it through class, a McDouble from McDonalds for lunch, a dollar drink if you’re thirsty, a package of noodles for dinner, a chocolate bar for a snack, or a beer at the end of a stressful day. Many might say these aren’t necessities but students live a stressful life and money is just one of the things we have to worry about, we need these things to help us relax.

You can’t donate to charity if you can’t afford it. If these charities are fine with accepting the bare minimum us students can donate, then they would hardly be making any money. If 50 students parted with five cents the charity would only be making $2.50.

Charity is a great thing and I believe all should give back, I just believe it is not fair to try to get students to donate. Most students won’t part with what little money they have and the ones that do probably can’t afford to. These Greek societies should only target places off campus where people can afford to give them money. Places like shopping malls or department stores.

It is unfair to make students feel bad they can’t help when most aren’t living off their own money. Until we have a solid income, our needs have to come first.