[Photo from file]

Starting in May, Ottawa’s beloved O-Train Line 2 will shut down and be replaced with supplementary bus routes. 

This impending closure has been on the mind of many students, as they begin to plan how they’ll get to campus without the train. Here’s a bold idea for everyone to consider: instead of taking your car and adding to traffic, ride your bike to campus. 

Starting from an economic point of view, bikes cost significantly less than cars. When you cycle, you don’t have to pay for parking, insurance, or gas. All you have to do is pay for a bike and maybe a helmet, depending on your preference. 

If you’re like me and like biking year-round, consider getting gloves and a scarf. That’s it. 

Some may say the streets aren’t safe for cyclists, and you’d be partially right. If you’re coming from Centretown, enjoy the thrill-ride of the Bronson Avenue bridge, where bike lanes magically disappear and reappear one lane into traffic. 

However, there is a separated mixed-use pathway the length of the entire train line, so you can ride your bike from South Keys all the way to Bayview without having to be on the street with cars. 

Additionally, for those who live in Hogs Back, there are safe, separate connections to campus which will get you to class significantly faster than the 111 bus will. The route through the arboretum is significantly more picturesque, as well. 

Unfortunately, bike parking is not much easier than car parking. Carleton’s dismal approach to cycling infrastructure means you’ll be forced onto the streets with cars since there are no bike lanes on campus, and bike racks are few and far between. 

But, if there is an increase in demand for bike infrastructure on campus, Carleton will have to finally implement some sort of cycling plan.

There are also other benefits to cycling. Getting some fresh air is always good, and this is a great way to do it. In many cases, cycling is also the fastest way to get to your destination, since you won’t be contributing to congestion, like the drivers out there. And if you’re trying to reduce your carbon footprint, commuting via bike is a great start. This system pays out for everyone. 

Everyone has sat in traffic on Campus Avenue as drivers try to get off campus. If more of those people got out of their cars and opted for a better mode of transport, like biking or public transit, everything would flow more easily. 

Busses wouldn’t be delayed. There wouldn’t be dozens of idling cars on the streets. There would be more parking spaces on campus, because would somebody please think of the parking!

So, when you’re considering your alternatives to getting to campus without the train, consider the most sustainable alternative, the cheapest alternative, and the alternative which does the least damage to city infrastructure. 

Instead of being stuck in a line of cars after class, you could be flying out of campus via the arboretum, enjoying some of the most beautiful trails Ottawa has to offer, and getting some much-deserved fresh air, all at the same time. 

If you don’t know where to start, check out Bike Ottawa, the local cyclist advocacy group. They’ll be happy to direct you to an affordable bike shop, and will provide maps with safe bike routes. And if you play your cards right, you may even snag some free bike lights.

Photo by Tim Austen.