RE: “Refusing to raise Clubs and Societies levy was a mistake,” April 2-8. 

In this year’s student referendum,  students were asked to decide whether they support a $14 increase per semester for Carleton University Students’ Association (CUSA) health and dental plan coverage, a $3.30 once a year increase to raise funding for clubs and societies on campus, and a $1 increase per semester to go towards a CUSA bursary. The bursary increase was the only question to be approved.

Not approving of funding increases for clubs and societies was a huge mistake.

Carleton currently has 290 active clubs on campus, 100 of these clubs are new in the last two years.

The amount of funding given to these clubs and societies has remained about the same, even with the huge jump in the amount of clubs present on campus. The amount of funding available should logically match the number of clubs active on campus.

As more clubs come into existence, they will receive less funding each year.

Instead of limiting club development and activity, as the student body, we should be promoting and supporting our fellow students in their extra-curricular activities.

People should not overlook the benefit of the clubs and societies at Carleton. Finding a group of people who share a common interest is a powerful thing, it can have a significant impact on how you enjoy your university years, how you succeed in school, and how you develop a wide range of practical and leadership skills.

On top of that, these clubs and societies have a huge impact on our community and beyond. Our philanthropic clubs on campus include: Amnesty International, Free the Children, Engineers Without Borders, Journalists for Human Rights, and many more, 36 more, in fact.

Those organizations, as well as other clubs and societies on campus, need and deserve adequate funding from students.

When I first came to campus on a tour as a prospective student, what I remember most, aside from the beautiful river, was being told just how many diverse clubs and societies are at Carleton.

Consider that Carleton has an origami club, a chess club, a Glee club, a Doctor Who society, an underground electronic music club, and too many others to list. There are also societies for almost every field of study.

What this means is that every student, if they so desired, would be able to find a club with people who they can bond with over a shared interest.

When we support clubs and societies on campus, we’re supporting every Carleton student that at some point in their university career will benefit from being a member of an organization that makes them feel connected to others.

We’re also supporting the greater of Ottawa and international communities, where philanthropic clubs make a difference.

It’s truly disheartening that our student body felt as though $3.30 was too much to contribute to their fellow students.

While it is understood that many students are uncomfortable giving more funds to the CUSA budget, it is unfair to limit our student body by neglecting this small fee.