(File photo)

Re: Don’t bypass CUSA

I was quite disappointed by the Charlatan’s coverage of the Carleton University General Assembly (CUGA).

I think that by portraying CUGA as solely a means of “bypassing” CUSA, the article and editorial completely misrepresent the aims of our organization.

The editorial staff wrongfully portrayed CUGA as simply a means of “bypassing” CUSA and they consequently speak out against the GA as a divisive strategy.

Speaking as an organizer of CUGA, and as someone who was interviewed for the article, I would like to make clear that both the article and the editorial are inaccurate portrayals of the General Assembly.

There has been little to no discussion of CUSA at CUGA organizing meetings and I did not mention CUSA once in my interview with the Charlatan.

I did mention that CUGA was a direct response to the Board of Governors meeting and undemocratic practices of the university administration. The aim of CUGA is to create directly democratic structures on campus that bring together faculty, students, and staff — something that sectoral organizations such as CUSA are incapable of.

The intent is by no means to “bypass” specific organizations. It is simply to provide a forum for which all those concerned about the undemocratic nature of university governance can come together and have a voice on campus.

— Chris Hurl
PhD Candidate