(File photo)

Re: Turn Local 1 into local none, March 8-14

It is regrettable that there is nothing journalistic in the opinion piece, “Turn Local 1 into local none.” Yaelle Gang’s approach was to pick a side and argue without any supporting evidence. False claims and accusations are why one component of her article was swiftly removed by the Charlatan after publication.

Gang’s main point is to argue that students should not pay $7.48 per term for membership in the Canadian Federation of Students (CFS). Is $7.48 per term too much to pay for many services like free ISIC cards, free online tax filing, a national not-for-profit health network, and other programs?

Is it worth paying $7.48 per term to have research and lobbying on student issues provincially and federally? Is $7.48 a good price for national campaigns against sexual assault on campus, addressing the needs of students with disabilities, or creating the only national voice focused on the needs of aboriginal students?

The Canadian Federation of Students has been successful in lobbying for public, affordable education. In 2010, the Ontario government listened to CFS lobbying efforts and increased the number of Ontario Graduate Scholarships by 50 per cent. Also in 2010, after lobbying by students in the CFS, the government committed funding towards the creation of a part-time student grant and a province-wide credit transfer system. In 2008, the CFS was successful in having the federal government implement Canada’s first national system of grants, which has saved students over $400 million each year.

These are just a few victories that demonstrate the importance of being a part of a provincial and national movement of over 500,000 students.

The Carleton University Students’ Association is not an island; one student association acting alone would be hard-pressed to accomplish such things.

Contrary to Gang’s claims, CUSA does not spend “its” money on the CFS. It remits the small fee directly to the CFS on behalf of students; the money has nothing to do with the CUSA deficit and is never a part of CUSA operating funds.

Those who want to see the CFS banished from campus need to stop making phony arguments based on poor math, unfounded claims, or assertions that decisions of CFS voting member locals are somehow not democratic.

If you want to get rid of the CFS, be honest with students about it: you don’t think students should organize together to fight for public, affordable, and accessible education.

It’s not that hard to say what you mean.

— Kelly Black
Graduate Students’ Association vice-president (operations) and president-elect
PhD candidate, Canadian studies