While marijuana is still illegal and criminalized, there is no justification for relaxed policies regarding the use of this substance in residence.

On Jan. 21, The Charlatan published an article looking into how residence policies would change if the Trudeau government follows through on its promise to decriminalize marijuana. According to the article, Carleton residence students are no longer fined for being caught with marijuana, and instead they are reminded of the policy. The article also said students caught smoking marijuana in their residence rooms are issued a “behaviour contract,” reminding them of the potential outcomes of continuing their behaviour.

After I moved into residence in September, the residents next door began smoking marijuana and the odour filled my room. I called campus security and notified my res fellows, but they essentially claimed they could not do anything unless they actually caught them in the act because they can’t track the ventilation system. Meanwhile, I was dizzy and hysterical and questioning why I should have to pay thousands of dollars to live in a space where illegal drugs are affecting my well-being.

The use of marijuana in residence is a community issue, particularly when it is being smoked inside dorm rooms.

As a poster in my residence hall states, “It’s not just your home. Your actions affect everyone around you. The smell of weed is not appreciated by the rest of your community. Don’t impose your choices on others.”

But as long as authority figures refrain from enforcing strict rules on the use of marijuana in residence, the individuals will continue to subject others to their actions. If the $200 fine recently removed from residence standards did not encourage pot-smokers to take their behaviour outside the residence building, then the current uber-relaxed approach will certainly not improve the situation.

Sure, fining students for smoking weed in their rooms is a cash-grab comparable to red light cameras at intersections, but fines are successful in reminding individuals that there are consequences for their actions.

This money could even go towards making residence life better for the students who don’t smoke in their rooms. As it stands, students who follow residence standards are penalized, while the smokers simply receive disapproving looks from residence authorities.

I understand housing at Carleton wants to prevent the use of marijuana in residence. However, the current lack of severe consequences essentially gives the students who are currently flaunting the law and the residence contract the go-ahead to smoke marijuana.

According to the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, the possession of 30 grams or less of marijuana warrants a criminal record and either a $1,000 fine or six months in prison. In contrast to the former $200 fine for possession in residence and the current laissez-faire approach, pot-smoking students are being treated far too kindly for their actions.

The Charlatan article said other universities—such as the University of Manitoba—still fine for possession of marijuana because it is part of the criminal code as well as a fire safety issue.

Not only do students who smoke marijuana in residences impact their community with the smell of weed, they create a physically unsafe environment. If the general well-being of students is not enough to fine pot-smokers, then shouldn’t the safety of these students be enough? Not to mention the school is certainly liable for burned down residence buildings if it comes to that.

If marijuana is legalized, the article said it would be treated with the same rules as cigarettes. But at this point, they are already treated the same way.

In my five months at Carleton, I have only ever seen campus security directing students smoking in banned areas elsewhere, despite the fact that other students are forced to walk through a tunnel of smoke, hold their breath, and cover their face to protect themselves from second-hand smoke just to get to class.

Frankly, there is already a parallel between the relaxed smoking and relaxed marijuana policies on campus. It’s as if Carleton has given up enforcing the law and waiting to be praised for their quick adaptation to the promised legalization of marijuana by the Liberal government.

I say Carleton should re-evaluate their decision to relax the marijuana policies in residence. Residence students are entitled to live in a drug-free environment.