(File photo illustration by Carol Kan)

Cycling is a lifestyle. It might sound strange but it truly is. Just like the surfer said to Johnny Utah (Keanu Reeves) in Point Break “Surfing’s the source man . . . swear to God,” or skaters reciting their mantra “skate or die.”

When they engage in their significant activity, perhaps they feel most like themselves.

When I ride I feel happy. It’s not just the endorphins from exercise though—it is the feeling of being present, in the moment, free. I think regardless of the activity, people pursue this feeling, this sense of being present and fully immersed in the moment. I have found this experience in cycling.

There is a non-for-profit bicycle co-op close to campus, located on 473 Bronson Ave. called re-Cycles.

It shares space with Cycle Salvation which sells inexpensive refurbished bikes. At re-Cycles you can learn how to tune your bike or if you already know how, it is a space with the tools to do it.

There are also minor tuning stations on campus right beside the Architecture Building.

I am a road cyclist, which makes deteriorating infrastructure my mortal enemy. All of my spills last year were because of poor road conditions. So please, all of my fellow cyclists, call 411 when you come across a gnarly pothole. The city is generally pretty good about responding to them.

Fortunately for us, our city councillor for the Capital Ward, the area surrounding Carleton, is David Chernushenko. He is an avid cyclist as well as an active supporter of bicycle rights, safety, and accessibility in Ottawa. I highly recommend contacting him if you have any issues or ideas regarding cycling in Ottawa.

Lastly, bike safety. It’s unavoidable given the fatalities every year in Ottawa. What can we do to reduce the risk? There are the obvious answers—wear a helmet and obey the rules.

As a road cyclist my view is that it’s not a matter of if, but when.

I find when it comes to how you conduct yourself on the road, it all comes down to anticipating what cars and pedestrians will do.

Do not be afraid or timid when it comes to taking your own lane, do this within reason but those that are behind you have to yield.

Another trick to riding on the road is use your voice. Although you are legally required to have a bell, it does nothing for you on the road. Scream if a car doesn’t see you or driving safely. It might save your life.

Respect to all the hardcores that bike year-round. I can’t wait to get riding again and good luck to you.