(File photo illustration by Carol Kan)

Last week I noticed the article in which Carleton University Students’ Association (CUSA) president Alexander Golovko stated to CUSA council that during June 2013’s Board of Governor’s meeting he did not vote in favour of increasing tuition fees. This is patently false.

As a graduate student representative on the Board of Governors at the time I can tell you that the president of the undergraduate student association did in fact raise his hand in favour of increasing the financial burden on students.

In an attempt to mislead students, Golovko may say he was simply voting in favour of the university budget. Yet, a key component of the university budget, and the most tangible for students, was a substantial increase in tuition fees. Rather than register his support, Golovko could have simply abstained from the vote but he did not.

Of course, it is an inconvenient truth that he voted with the university administration on this matter and against the interests of the students he is supposed to represent.

If Golovko feels guilty about voting to increase tuition fees by hundreds of dollars for domestic students and over $1,000 for international students, then I’m sure many students would appreciate any effort to articulate CUSA’s position on tuition fee hikes.

Articulating a position would be appreciated given that other executives on the A Better Carleton (ABC) election slate have publicly stated to the media that CUSA does not support tuition fee freezes or reductions. Gina Parker, CUSA vice-president (student issues), said exactly this on Sept. 12 on the radio station 580 CFRA.

Golovko and ABC have championed giving $212,000 collected from students by CUSA to Carleton University. Eight to 10 $1,000 student scholarships will be distributed each year from this CUSA endowment.

Assisting less than a dozen students each year does not go far when the CUSA president also supported increasing tuition fees by $5-10 million for the current academic year. Indeed, this financial gift and political passivity only serve to demonstrate to the university administration that the ABC team is on board for whatever plans they may have.

This endowment is an explicit promotion of the idea that soaring tuition fees need not be opposed. ABC fails to see tuition fees as a systemic part of student financial difficulties. Scholarships are important, but they will never be a solution to widespread student debt and financial hardship.

CUSA does not have to oppose the university at every step, but Golovko and the rest of the ABC executive need to be unequivocal with students about their position on rising tuition fees. Band-Aid solutions for a few, or affordable, accessible, and public education for all?