Marc Hewson could often be seen sporting a three-piece suit with matching shoes.

The renowned Ernest Hemingway scholar and former Carleton professor passed away unexpectedly last year. His legacy is being marked with a scholarship in his name, which will be awarded annually to a Carleton student entering second year who has shown excellence in the English department.

Seraphie Lachance, a former student of Hewson’s, said she remembers his outfits fondly.

“It was very interesting,” said Lachance. “One day, I remember him going in with a full pink suit and pink shoes.”

“A very unique sense of humor,” said Manahil Bandukwala, another student of his. “I heard the reason why he was wearing the three-piece suit is because he is building a reputation, so everyone can ask him, ‘Hey, where’s this suit?’ when he’s not wearing it.” 

Jaclyn Lytle, another of Hewson’s former pupils, said she was taken aback when she found out about Hewson’s passing.

“It hit me hard,” said Lytle.

She organized an event to commemorate his contribution to the English faculty at the university. The first recipient of a scholarship established in Hewson’s memory was announced at the event, which took place Oct. 5 at Carleton.

Many of Hewson’s colleagues, co-workers, friends, family and students attended the event. 

Kaelee Vincent, the recipient of the scholarship this year, went to the event to learn more about her scholarship’s namesake. She said she plans to use the scholarship to work her way towards eventually becoming an English teacher.

“His name will carry on by the scholarship,” said Vincent. “And we hope people will be always curious about who he is.”

Feature image from file.