Graphic by Honey Kim.

Carleton offers a range of free services for you to take advantage of to make your frosh week and your
whole year safe—as well as sexy.

“Students coming for first year have the whole gamut of knowledge and experience when it comes to sexual issues and sexual health,” said Stan Kutcher, a professor of psychology at Dalhousie University.

No matter your sexual experience, all students, staff, and faculty have access to birth control, and additional information about sexual health and information about what form of contraception is right for you at health and counselling services, located at 2600 Carleton Technology & Training Centre (CTTC).

For concerns about sexual assault and harassment, the Sexual Assault Support Centre is located in 503 Robertson Hall. They offer free and confidential short-term counselling, safety planning, and referrals to other resources. They also have trained peer support volunteers who can provide information and referrals in addition to one-on-one support, according to Carrolyn Johnston, the equity adviser and co-ordinator of sexual assault services at Carleton.

Additionally there is a student-run peer support telephone line run through health and counselling services
that operates from 8 a.m. to 12 a.m., seven days a week. Carleton has also enlisted the help of a co-ordinator of sexual assault services to provide information and training to all orientation week facilitators,
special student constables, and all residence fellows on sexual harassment and sexual assault. They provide tools for intervening in situations they may encounter, as well as information about how to provide basic support to someone who has experienced a sexual assault and information on services on campus, according to Johnston. Throughout the exciting, anxiety-ridden, and sometimes inebriated first tumultuous weeks of school, remember there’s no shame in seeking out help or more information.

This is a place to learn, whether it’s inside or outside of the classroom.

Where to get contraception on campus

– Health and Counselling provides IUD insertions—a small T-shaped piece of plastic wrapped in copper that provides long-term birth control by being inserted into the uterus. Additionally, they promote and administer the HPV vaccine, provide STI testing and treatment, and offer free condoms. Their website has educational pamphlets that students can access and read. Students can go to health and counselling and be seen by a doctor who will prescribe Plan B (the morning after pill). They can then choose to take the prescription to the pharmacy on campus and get it there, or can go directly to the pharmacy on campus for the drug, which is covered by the student drug plan.

– The Sexual Assault Support Centre provides information on safer sex practices, as well as offering free condoms.

Your Residence Fellow has been trained to be an expert on sexual assault and harassment, and will be able to provide you with free condoms.

– The Gender and Sexuality Resource Centre (GSRC), located at 427 University Centre, provides a safe space for students regardless of sexual orientation and provides safer sex supplies and information including free condoms and lube.

– The Carleton University Students’ Association (CUSA) office is located at 401 University Centre and provides free condoms of multiple sizes and brands. CUSA orders their materials from Ottawa Public Health, and distributes them to all their service centres.

The Carleton Disability Awareness Centre, the Student Experience Office, and the Aboriginal Student Service Centre also distribute condoms.

The Womyn’s Centre has a variety of free sex and women’s care products, including tampons, pads, and information.