Home News Activism ‘It’s up to Carleton to do their share’: CUPE 4600 and Carleton...

‘It’s up to Carleton to do their share’: CUPE 4600 and Carleton begin collective bargaining

1036
CUPE 4600 education workers voice their concerns at a picket outside of Carleton University’s campus in Ottawa, Ont. on Monday, September 19, 2022. [Photo by Myles Bodie/The Charlatan]

The Canadian Union of Public Employees (CUPE) local 4600, representing contract instructors, teaching assistants (TAs), service assistants (SAs) and internally-funded research assistants (RAs), is negotiating new collective agreements with Carleton University.

CUPE 4600 is divided into two units; the first represents TAs, SAs and RAs, while the second represents contract instructors. Both units have their own collective agreement with the university. The previous agreements between the union of nearly 3,000 employees and the university expired Aug. 31 after three years. 

The university and the two bargaining teams have met several times since August to discuss bargaining protocols such as confidentiality and the number of union members allowed to observe negotiations, according to Sloane Mulligan, chair of bargaining for unit one, and Cheryl Cundell, chair of bargaining for unit two.

The main demand contract instructors have, Cundell said, is for a more centralized process, especially when it comes to accessibility, to achieve consistency among all departments of the university.

Mulligan echoed calls for centralization, saying worker accommodation requests are often denied due to inconsistencies in funding across departments.

“In the context that Carleton is supposed to be the most accessible university in Canada, we’re just not seeing that in practice for workers,” Mulligan said. “In a centralized process … there would be a body of some sort that will be responsible for coordinating everyone’s accommodations.”

Mulligan also said unit one is demanding higher wages, a limit on the number of students a single TA can be responsible for and stricter regulations on working hours.

Several people standing outside holding signs and a banner with the road in the background.

Picketing for support

On Sept. 19, members of the union gathered to picket at the university’s Bronson Avenue entrance demanding fairness for education workers and better education for students.

Gareth Park, a contract instructor in the school of social work at Carleton who was present at the picket, said the relationship between wage increases and recent inflation hikes have caused most of the workers’ stress.

“[Despite] the incredible increase in inflation, our wages have been capped at 1 per cent for the last 3 years. Inflation will be 7 to 8 per cent this year,” he said.

This significant difference has drawn the attention of education workers at Carleton and other post-secondary institutions.

“That’s on Carleton. They are responsible for the uniquely low pay for contract instructors,” Park said. “But this is a global, systemic problem across universities.”

Students at Carleton University are affected by the wages and working conditions of the workers, Davide Ventrone, vice-president (external) and bargaining executive at CUPE 4600, said.

“It might feel disconnected for a lot of the undergrads, but this is really about your education as well,” he said.

Park said students’ education is directly influenced by the treatment of contract instructors. 

“Students should understand that contract instructors are paid a flat rate,” he said. “If people need more help and assistance, [contract instructors] must work longer hours and receive the same pay.”

At the picket, Ventrone also echoed concerns with accommodation for TAs.

Ventrone said he is paid around $5,000 per semester, but pays around $3,000 in tuition plus $1,300 in rent monthly, which accounts for over $5,000 per semester. 

“Last year, without any external-funding, I was in a negative position.” Ventrone said. “Nobody who is getting paid as a TA is making enough to live in this city.”

Several people standing outside holding signs and a banner with green trees in the background.

Avoiding a strike

In an email to the Charlatan, Tara Jackson, manager of communications at the university, said Carleton is optimistic the two sides will reach an agreement that reflects the important role contract instructors and teaching assistants play in the university’s academic mission and student experience. 

On Sept. 26, the union announced it would be hiring a strike coordinator. But members of the union who spoke to the Charlatan did not indicate there were any set plans to mobilize a strike.

“I really hope that we can engage in a dialogue with the university and that it’s productive so that we don’t have to go that route,” Cundell said. “But when it comes down to it, it really goes to the vote to the membership to see what their response is.”

The sentiment was shared at the picket. Co-chair of the mobilization committee Patricia Kmiec said the union wants to avoid a strike as it would impede on student education. 

“We are in it to avoid a strike and receive a fair deal, and now it’s up to Carleton to do their share of fair bargaining,” she said.

Featured image by Myles Bodie.