The Elections Office has given violations to all candidates on both the Confidence and One Carleton slates after an investigation into allegations involving the Confidence slate, according to two official rulings dated March 21.

The official ruling for the Confidence slate was given for “negative campaigning against One Carleton on the Facebook page “Rank One Carleton Last.”

According to the ruling, the Rank One Carleton Last page was taken down after a link was established between the page and “a Confidence campaign worker.” The ruling concluded that campaign volunteer Jacob Kenney “is tied to the operation of the “Rank One Carleton Last” Facebook page.”

In a post on his Facebook page on March 21, One Carleton campaign manager Zameer Masjedee alleged that Kenney was the one who started the Facebook page.

According to the Elections Office, both Confidence and One Carleton violated the social media guidelines that candidates must adhere to during the elections.

Chief electoral officer Nada Ibrahim, said the evidence showed it was clear that Kenney was involved with the “Rank One Carleton Page.”

“It’s clear slander, like negative campaigning,” she said.

Ibrahim also said she was unsure if the Elections Office would be releasing the evidence gathered as part of the investigation.

Confidence vice-president (student services) candidate Diana Idibe and presidential candidate Donna Al Sououb have already received one violation each for failing to include the proper information in their Instagram bios.

An emailed statement to The Charlatan from the Confidence management said “All executive candidates and management of Confidence have been consistently dedicated to running a positive campaign through the duration of these elections. While we cannot speak directly about the violation handed down to us, we will be appealing it. We are also seriously question the timing of these allegations.”

Masjedee said he thought the rulings made for both teams were fair.

“For us, just the fact that they got a violation that is enough,” he said. “More importantly, the page is down so hopefully it doesn’t influence any other voters.”

Masjedee said he knew he would incur an electoral violation for his team but made the post anyways as the information was time-sensitive, considering the 48-hour voting period.

All three members of the One Carleton slate—David Oladejo, Cassandra Ambar, and Natalie York— received violations for negative campaigning on social media due to the post on Masjedee’s Facebook page. These are the first violations for the members of the One Carleton slate.

According to the social media guidelines, “candidates and slates are not permitted to upload potential electoral offense evidence or post official electoral complaints on any social media accounts, or websites. If a candidate or slate is found uploading anything of this sort, it will result in an automatic electoral offense.”

Masjedee said those responsible for the page should have offered an apology and been more open to the other candidates, as well as the students.

“The fact that there hasn’t been an apology issued yet, and the fact that they aren’t taking complete ownership of this I think is a little bit immature, and I think it’s a little bit disrespectful,” he said.

Voting in the byelection is set to end tonight at 10 p.m.

Photo by Aaron Hemens